Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as you may know by now, I can't leave my '05 F350 alone. The latest occupation of my free time has been researching any info for swapping my 05 door panels to the newer 2008+ style ones.

One reason I've not done this swap already was because up until recently, I was unaware that Ford was making the new panels in a more traditional gray color. I'd seen the "stone" color on the 08-10 models, but it really doesn't match the medium gray from 99-07 trucks. I recently noticed that the 2011-2012 XLT models are now offered with a gray interior. I can't say that it's exactly the same as our 99-07 medium flint, but it's gotta be pretty close.

Either way, I've ordered some XLT door panels (and 08+ wood switch bezels) and will be attempting to to fit them into my '05.

My understanding at this point is that the rear panels fit with only minor modifications (screw locations, etc). The fronts appear a bit more complicated. Why? I'm not totally sure yet. I have yet to see anyone post any pictures of what the problems are. Without seeing my panels in person yet, I'm still optimistic, but we'll see as things progress........ I can't imagine that Ford changed the doors that much in 2008.

Anyway, this will be another of my "quest" threads; Less about the wiring since Macoyle has already tackled that one... this one will be more about the actual fitment of the panels. ANYONE WITH INFO, POST IT UP!!!!

...to be continued...

·
Registered
132 Posts
subscribing

I've seen several installs of these 08+ skins...and read about some guys having fitment issues...but like you, never have I seen anyone post up exactly what the "issues" were

·
Registered
365 Posts
subscribing, but one question why dont you just buy a 2012 have a better motor and all these "extras" your looking for?? not meaning to take away from what your doing but wouldnt it be cheaper in the long run :p

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
subscribing, but one question why dont you just buy a 2012 have a better motor and all these "extras" your looking for?? not meaning to take away from what your doing but wouldnt it be cheaper in the long run :p
Well, there's this little $30,000 difference in price. Spending ~$500 to install new panels is WAY less than the new truck. Even with my mirrors and other misc '08+ parts still has me less than $2k total. Even more, I don't have to finance that other $2k.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2012 rear door panels arrived today. The 2011-2012 gray is close, but is slightly different. It's a bit more "blue/gray" than the 99-07 gray. Not too bad, I'm just mentioning it. The biggest problem IMHO is the texture. The 99-07 texture is a bit more smooth, whereas the 08+ is much more pronounced.

Aside from trimming the door handle plastic surround (which I'll do if/when I commit to this swap 100%), and drilling some new screw holes in the inner door, it's a direct swap:

I do have the 08+ wood grain switch bezels coming.

At this point, I'm torn whether or not to buy the fronts... I'm open to comments.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
This is what we call OEM + modifications on my VW Forum haha Thanks again for the mirror info and ill be subscribing to see how the door panels play out

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly, the shade of gray is close enough for me. The 11-12 XLT gray is the closest of any of the 08+ colors so I'm happy with it. My whole reasoning for jumping on these when I saw them was because I had never seen a gray 08-12 panel before.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm still in the preliminary stages of this mod - I haven't gone any further than what you see in the pictures. Part of the reason is I'm still deciding if I like the door panels well enough to overlook the differences in texture.

·
Registered
948 Posts
What did you decide on this one? giving up?

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Well, there's this little $30,000 difference in price. Spending ~$500 to install new panels is WAY less than the new truck. Even with my mirrors and other misc '08+ parts still has me less than $2k total. Even more, I don't have to finance that other $2k.
Here Here!!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What did you decide on this one? giving up?
Not entirely. I've not really had a chance to give it any further thought.

Aside from minor color differences, the other factory are:

- 2008+ Wood grain doesn't quite match the 05-07 wood grain (window switch bezels)
- The texture is totally different - The 99-07 is much smoother, the 08+ is very large and coarse

Personally, I could live with the difference in color, but my wife insists that the truck would lose a uniform feel in the interior because of the texture and wood grain differences. She drives the truck as her DD, so she's gotta love 'em.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Douche your box! PM box that is.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I abandoned the project - In the end, I would have had between $600-$900 in the swap by the time I was done with panels, switches, wood inserts, etc and after all that, I still would have had panels that didn't quite match the 05 gray and the texture was way off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. I painted mine to match and it came out amazing. I bought the paint from color tone. It's made for interior paint . It took a day to make. And I matched it with my seat cover cushion. It's kind of a latex type of paint. And painted it with my small paint gun. Look great. Even did the 08
Console. And I matched the leather and got the leather top re upolstered.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Painting was only half the issue - I could've match the color, but the texture was totally off. It just didn't look right to me. The 08+ texture is totally different.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts