Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have stumbled across a 2003 F350 with a 7.3L that has everything I'm looking for in a new truck. However it does not run due to a bad computer, i have no other information other than that. The dealership has had it for over 3 years and because of the limited amount of 7.3's produced in 2003 they had no luck fixing it.

I just so happen to have another F350, this one is a 2000. The complete drivetrain is still in the truck, but for the price the dealer wants for their truck, and I have no other use for this drivetrain in the 2000, it would seem simple enough to swap engines at a worst case scenario.

My question is, what would it take to get a computer for a 2003? If that is not an option, how long, and how much would an experienced mechanic take to swap the engine from one into the other? I don't really care what happens to the body of the 2000, if it's easier to lift the cab to pull the engine and transmission, so be it. The only difference I can see between the two is one has mechanical gauges and the other has digital.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I would think it would be easiest just to find the correct computer. The 02-03 should have the same ones. If you can't find one you maybe able to reflash a new one. As for swapping the drive train I don't think it would help. It's more of a computer problem.

·
Super Moderator
19,524 Posts
Have you Google'd 2003 7.3L PCMs? Might help you find one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you Google'd 2003 7.3L PCMs? Might help you find one.
Yes, I have, they are very reasonably priced. I'm only assuming, since this is a car dealership, and a truck that doesn't run takes up room on your lot, you would fix it within 3 years, and sell it. I could be wrong, but your suggestion just seems so simple that it would be fixed by now if that's all it was.
It was hard to get anymore information about the truck because I could tell the owner was getting frustrated about the subject. This dealer where the F350 is at. Literally is right across the street from the only Ford dealership in town.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
How much do they want for it and how many miles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much do they want for it and how many miles.
$4,000 crew cab, long bed, auto, 4wd, FX4. I have a transmission with less than 20,000 miles in addition to the engine. They couldnt tell me how many miles were on the truck because the batteries had been dead for so long.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
That's not too bad. I would try to get it a little lower. But I would buy it. Sounds like they don't know what their doing. If all else fails part it out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's not too bad. I would try to get it a little lower. But I would buy it. Sounds like they don't know what their doing. If all else fails part it out.
I suppose I could buy a PCM and install it in the lot and see what happens before taking ownership.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
If you get it running before buying it the price might increase. Also I would do a fuel fuel system flush before even trying to start it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now are the transmissions between the two trucks interchangeable? Not knowing what the condition of the transmission on the new truck would have me a little worried. I'd be more at ease knowing I have a spare if it falls out.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yes they are interchangeable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts