Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's opinion? I'm either thinking of swapping in F350 rear springs, build code C or D, or just installing air bags to help with the new toyhauler we purchased. It has a pin weight of about 2600 lbs.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
bags.... that way you can lower the pressure when not hauling for a nicer ride and pump em up when your haulin

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
I'd also add a 2ea removable spacers to the top overload springs to use when your going to tow. Will keep the bounce down that you get with the stock setup and won't drop the rear as much.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. What are 2ea spacers? I don't have overload leaves on mine. I'm leaning towards the bags.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Without the top overloads disreguard my suguestion as it would be something to be used along with them
Never heard of those spacers Cary. Fill me in. I have overloads:thumb:

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Thats because its something my brother in law made 20 years ago and showed me. Take a piece of 2x3 1/4" tube and drill a 1/2" hole centered on one face. Drill a 1/2" hole in the top overload spring directly where the overload spring hits the top overload frame stops. Bolt the spacers on before you load or tow bringing the overload spring into play 2" sooner than without this mod. Result less bounce and less sag.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just put some Firestone Ride Rites air springs on last night they are great. Run with low air when not towing and pump them up when you have a load. Improves the ride a lot.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Ahhh I have seen that before Cary now that you mention it.

Seems like a good way to crack a spring to me though

·
Registered
874 Posts
Get the bags.

I had Firestone RideRites (2071 is the kit # for your truck with the 5er hitch) on my '08 and they made a world of difference!! The ride rites can be a challenge with an in-bed hitch. HERE'S THE INSTR MANUAL

AirLift has a kit #57394 that may work better. AirLift site

Mark

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the ideas. MD, I do have a B+W gooseneck hitch in the bed. I converted the fifth wheel to a gooseneck hitch. I'll get the bags ordered when I get home. The truck pulled the traielr really well and it didn't sag that bad. Plenty of power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts