Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 6.0 with an automatic and when i load up tunes from Innovative it will surge under WOT. When its in the upper rpms the surge is like a wah-wah-wah and feels like the truck might be having fuel issues. I have a cold air intake, a 4" turbo back, blue spring upgrade and I am hoping to get the cts setup this week so i can monitor fuel pressure. When its stock it runs great, or at least the surge is small enought under WOT i dont notice it. I did notice the ICP voltage jumps between 4.5 and 3.9 volts unter WOT with the stock tune, i havent been able to check it while running a tune yet tho. I did pull the plug on the ICP and there is no oil on the connector. Has anyone experienced this issue? also should the ICP voltage be jumping around like that?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
If your reading voltage on the reference voltage wire you should read a constant 5v, if your reading the return signal wire that will fluctuate according to the oil pressure changes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the reading on the signal wire, should the oil pressure be that unstable at WOT?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
If WOT is too high or held too long the PCM will often defuel thinking the engine is tying to run away. Or so I have read. AT WOT is your tach near the redline?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only took it up to about 3500 rpm but it was jumping like that the whole way thru the rpms when it was WOT.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Most likely your HPOP is getting weak. Generally stock it wont do it, but tuned it will.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
I wouldn't say that the HPOP is weak I would start by checking FICM voltages, batteries load tested individually, and checking injectors. It sounds a lot like what mine does and thats because my injectors are worn out/sticking and need replaced.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got a 58V FICM and I monitor it with CTS (50v) so I know thats good and the batteries are new. You think i would be able to see if there were something up with the injectors by getting the balance test done? i appreciate every ones input btw!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is there anyway to test that? my friends brother is a diesel tech and has one of those insanely expensive snapon diagnostic tools.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Your icp should not fluctuate like that at wot. Most of the time when trucks do that the hpop is shot. Unless your icp sensor is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE - I loaded innovatives street tune and watched the ICP voltage and it jumped from 4.5-3.0 :( has anyone had issues with sticking ipr valves? i am going to take the icp out this weekend and see what the oil side looks like. Im really hoping its not the hpop...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i unplugged the ICP sensor and the surging seems to have disappeared. Could the increased oil pressure from the tune be causeing the ECU to reduce pressure in the high pressure system? Im kinda nervous about buying a new sensor becuase i read that other people had similar issues and a new ICP didnt help. Also does anyone know what happens to the IPR when the ICP is unplugged? does it defualt to a base map?

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
if you disconnected the ICP and it stopped it that means your pcm is going into default mode meaning its bypassing the ICP sensor and fooling the pcm into thinking its making more pressure than it is. Based on that it sounds to me that your ICP sensor is going out. Was there any oil on the plug or harness? if so replace them both.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Mine does the same thing but only on Matts tunes (Gearhead) and Chris's tunes (TSD). On there race files... Chris said its because i have a stronger then normal HPOP and its in the tuning of the IPR Duty Cycle. He just sent me a new SPD with some duty cyle taken out to try now... We have been working on this for awhile now and each time he gets it better.. Take it FWIW...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tuscany - No oil on the harness or sensor, almost looked like the sensor was replaced by the previous owner.

huhner5 - Did you ever try replacing your icp and if so did it change anything? I sent Eric (innovative) some data logging this morning so hopefully he can make some modifications to my tune to fix it. did you mean it only surged on teh race tune or all tunes from them?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Mine only on race tunes from Gearhead and TSD.. Erics i never had a problem.... I have never replaced or disconnected my icp either

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update - I replaced the ICP sensor this weekend and I am still getting the same readings so that is not the issue. I also installed a sensor for fuel pressure and that is good as well. Looks like the next step is to replace the ipr valve i suppose.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Keep me updated.. I will also keep you posted if Chris can get the issue figured out via tuning..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will do .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts