Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone has some tips for removing small areas of surface rust from frame. Most places are too had to reach with a sandblaster, but i'd like to get it off and touch it up with some new black paint. Any suggestions for these hard to reach places??

Also any ideas on what type of black paint would actually last if i used it on traction bars and axles??

·
Registered
557 Posts
Steel wool would be your best bet gets into the crevises and then get some rustoleum rust blocker (should be like a clear coat looking stuff) then paint it black they may also have rust blocker in black also!! I deal a lot with surface rust in AZ as long as it isnt deep this should work excelent

·
Registered
557 Posts
Rustolium works great for paint also

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
my cousin used por 15 chassis black i believe its called. its not made to be in contact with sun (so it says on the can).

he used that stuff on all his suspension and its been holding up for about 3-4 years with alot of time in the water, mud, dirt.

wasnt cheap but i bet he wont have to do it again

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks i'll give it a try. Do you use any type of rust removal jelly or anything? Or just rub it with steel wool?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I would yse a rust converter such as por 15 or the like. Which turns black and than is paint able. Than i would undercoat or bed liner it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have some surface rust on my frame too. I got a paper towel and rubed grease on the rust.
that is defently not the right awnser to repair it but works from letting it get any worse untill you repair it!!

And about the steel wool yes you can use chemicals I never have tho and its worked great!! and I will have to disagree with Bed lining or Undercoating!! I have my reasons why not to! First one is that once you undercoat it the person that is applying it must be surtan there is no moisture and the surface is clean (I MEAN CLEAN), Second then if your frame has any dranage holes or any holes that are open undercoatings do nothing for you all you will have is un knoticable rust from the out side untill its to late!! Third reason is that even tho people just under coat and leave it you are suppose to go back every six months to have it resprayed and inspected(VERY COSTLY)!! Forth reason is one of my own Its easer to repair the rust then conseal it with an under coating and will result in a better maintained truck and better looking!! Final reason is because when they apply the undercoating it is usally in a messy fasion and they dont care about body mounting bolt leaf spring shakle hard ware and any other hardware in that case making it more likely that you will shear a nut off (or break multiple sockets (thank god for craftsmen) and your knuckles)!! Those are my reasons the second reason is should accually be #1 in my book lost my Jeep due to rust that was hidden by a under coating untill I ran into a gaurd rail and bam bye bye unibody!!! Now done right and properly maintained and inspected a undercoating is a excelent idea but is very time consuming and costly compaired to just repairing the rust as it shows up on your frame!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thank god for the south west I HATE NY to much salt that eats at my truck!!!:doh:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
spray it with some wd-40 and rub with some steel wool and it will come off

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I live in Ohio and ther is no way i am parking my 4x4 in the winter. In Ohio you cant find a non rusty frame. I get under the truck and scrape and treat flakes. I think i may try oil spray this fall.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
that is defently not the right awnser to repair it but works from letting it get any worse untill you repair it!!
The frame comes from the factory diped in oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts