Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I are going to purchase a biodiesel reactor system, and I have a few more questions...

I was wondering what the "shelf life" of the finished product is. How long can it "sit" before it is used and what should it be stored in? Is a 55 gal steel drum okay?

Also, I know selling it as a fuel requires all kinds of legwork. How about selling the surplus as a performance additave or injector lube/cleaner?

Finally, is anyone running B100 in winter? If not, what is the safest blend for winter use? ...or is there a commercial grade anti-gel additive for B100?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
:popcorn2:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Also, I know selling it as a fuel requires all kinds of legwork. How about selling the surplus as a performance additive or injector lube/cleaner?
Better yet barter it.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Good Bio diesel will run to about 32F at B100, 23F at B75, and 13F at B50. Supposedly in most states mixtures up the B99 are considered a "fuel additive"
So I am not sure what the legality is of selling a fuel additive is. How much Bio you plan on making that you would have a surplus?

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are looking to start with 40 gallons a week or so. However, neither of our diesel trucks are daily drivers so we wont burn that much at first. Eventually we would like to expand this into a "diesel performance" business that sells biodiesel as an additive and ell other diesel related performance items. So, then we may expand to produce more.

We are just trying to iron out all the details at this point.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Beat me to it. 6 months is the rule. I would trade the surplus for WVO if I were you. You can never have enough WVO, and you can store it longer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We are looking to start with 40 gallons a week or so. However, neither of our diesel trucks are daily drivers so we wont burn that much at first. Eventually we would like to expand this into a "diesel performance" business that sells biodiesel as an additive and ell other diesel related performance items. So, then we may expand to produce more.

We are just trying to iron out all the details at this point.
If you were closer to Balto, I'd be a paying customer (probably just 5-10 gals/week). Kevin

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info. I doubt it would sit on the shelf much longer than 6 months if it sat that long.

Trading it for WVO is a good idea - i didnt even think of that!

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
If you were closer to Balto, I'd be a paying customer (probably just 5-10 gals/week). Kevin

Where are you located in Balto. We have a source for B20 from the pump here or B99.9 if you prefer. I just filled up yesterday with B20 and filled 2 10gal cans with B99.9 so if I have to get diesel on the road I can add it myself.

I am thinking about making my own though as soon as I can lock down a steady source of WVO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts