Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to pull the motor to fix the heads and was wondering about taking the trans down first. It seems easy enough but I was wondering about supporting the engine on the motor mounts only when the trans is out. I don't see any mention of additional supports being required to hang the engine but wanted to ask before I pulled the trans.

·
Super Moderator
12,924 Posts
Why pull the trans down? Just pull the motor and support the trans and skip all those extra steps.

If that's the way you're going to do it though, use blocks or something underneath or a chain above in the rear as the engine will want to tip backwards......and don't use the oil pan as a blocking point

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulling the trans is a simple operation and makes installing the engine easier. There are only a few additional steps to pull the trans completely anyway. The driveshafts, dipstick, crossmember along with a few sensors. I have a good trans jack and it is much easier to align a 300 pound trans on a good trans jack than it is to try to align a 1000 pound engine on a hoist.

You make a good point about support on the pan. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
Do how you think is best, the engine mounts are just forward of center, so there is not much weight on the rear of the engine -- I would use a block on the bell housing ear on the drivers side to support the engine

Reactions: nighthawk285

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
I wouldn't pull the transmission unless you need to work on it as well. Especially if it's 4wd. The only issue you should have going back in with the engine is aligning the TC studs and there are ways to help with that.

Do what you like, of course. It's your labor not mine. It just seems like extra unecessary work to me.

I'm with @ZMANN , no need to support the engine if you do remove the trans. Especially if you're going to be pulling it in short order anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts