Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 with 57k on it and over the last month a whine has started. It has progressivly gotten louder. It sounds alot like a supercharger whine. It gets louder with higher rpms. I ve narrowed it down to something on the front of the enigne (I think). It does it wether driving or in park. So its not drivetrain related. Has anybody had this same problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Does it sound like a PS pump? The PS pump is located at the front of the engine and does cause a whine if it goes bad. Also check your PS fluid.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it was the power steering it should do it when turning th ewheels and it doesnt its rpm related. If it was the tranny I would think it would do it more drive and less in park. It is compltely rpm based. Any more suggestions,

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
My torque converter did that when my trans went out..
He said it was toward the front of the motor :poke.......

If it was the power steering it should do it when turning th ewheels and it doesnt its rpm related. If it was the tranny I would think it would do it more drive and less in park. It is compltely rpm based. Any more suggestions,
Does it do it all the time or during first start up or what? If its RPM based, toward the front, and makes a loud noise like a supercharger....leads me to believe it had to be something the fan belt is moving.......could it be your fan clutch?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Idoler pulley bearing perhaps

·
Registered
529 Posts
leak in the intercooler?... does it get louder under higher boost?

·
Too cool for school
9,886 Posts
Mine would do it in park also.

I know you said it was towards the front of the motor, so I'll drop it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think its coming from the idler pulley or the tensioner. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've notinced the same thing with my 6.4. Sound's like a turbo whine to me too. Haven't figured it out yet, but I notice it happens more when first cranked and when it sites idle for more than about 5 minutes. Also noticed a power loss. Didn't notice that at first, but I pulled a load last weekend and I can tell with a load. About every time I stopped for any length of time with the load it would start to whine and then when I got moving again it would quiet back down and go away after about 10 minutes back on the road. Mine is a manual, so it's not the torque conv for me. Curious to see what you come up with. Ford dealer said it's my imagination and they can't duplicate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Munster mine started out like yours. Just got worse. I changed the idler pulley and no difference. While I was in there I wiggled all the pulleys and they felt fine. It still did it. This morning i sprayed penotraiting oil on the pulleys and it stopped after 30 min of driving. Now I get a grinding noise off(like a bearing), but it does it only here and there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buddah, Glad you got it fixed without having to spend major money. I had Ford change the fuel filters on mine and it feels like the power is back. Will know for sure when I pull a load. Haven't heard the whine again in a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there any coolant in the fuel cooler reservoir? Mine has failed twice in 56,000mi and emits a noise exactly like a supercharger when it runs out of coolant. ( 08 F350 6.4l)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Im having a whine noise too, it doesnt do it all the time though. When you step on the brake pedal, thats when it does it, and you can feel it in the pedal, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts