Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any expierence with swampers.... in particular the STS Radial... lookin for a cheap all terrain tire for a 22" wheel.... Let me know bout tread life... noise... etc... thanks guys

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
the STS is a decent tire.....don't EVER take them in the mud....ever....they are not made for it...and will clog up in a nano second.

They are about the best sand tire you can buy though.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
They work great for sled pulling. My buddy just took 1st in a near by pull. They wear out quickly and they do suck in Mud and Snow.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
im so new to this **** i dont know how to post a thread if you told me! so whats your preference?
No biggie man, we just kinda frown on hi-jacking a thread.

How to post a question. You go to the top of the home page. Where it says forums click that link. It will take you to the forum page. Then you go to the section that applies to you. Since your asking about sct live wire that would be 6.0L section Sub Section performance, click on new thread. Then write a topic on the topic line. Then type out your question in the body section. Then click on post.

Now welcome to the Org. there is alot of good info here. As for your question I am not really sure and have no preference since I do not own a 6.0L But from my understanding the SCT Livewire is the way to go.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Does anyone have any expierence with swampers.... in particular the STS Radial... lookin for a cheap all terrain tire for a 22" wheel.... Let me know bout tread life... noise... etc... thanks guys
they are a tad noisy for sure, and the treadwear is equivalent to a pizza.
they also are not going to hold the heat well if you are doing any high speed driving... i once MELTED a set of 36" swampers by going about 90-100mph from vegas to barstow and they were ruined from that 2 hour trip. they were practically brand new also,
not happy with them, and they were horrible in the rain...

now, if you are looking for a really nice aggressive mud terrain tire, i would HIGHLY recomend the nitto mud grappler. yeah, they are a tad noisy at speed, but any aggressive looking tire is going to be. i got over 30k miles on my set i'm sure i could have gone farther had i not took a chunk out of the sidewall on one of them while rock climbing..
they work excellent in the dirt, off roading they give you tons of confidence, and they handle well in wet or dry. as for the sand, they are just okay, but better than most unless you go to a sand specific tire.
i recentl switched the toyo open country M/T.. big mistake... sure they are quieter but that's about the only advantage, and personally, i don't mind the sound of mud tires on the highway anyway. i have almost dug in and got stuck with the toyo's a couple times now out at the lake, and this was in some pretty nasty soil, but it was practically level ground, and i had to keep the tires spinning and "bite" back and forth with the wheel to get across, whereas the exact same spot i could just easily crawl along and get thru w/no fuss while using the nittos...
they will definitely be going back on my truck again. and they make quite a few sizes for 22" wheel IRC

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Just so everyone knows which tire he is looking at. The 2nd one on this page below is the STS. It is like a very aggressive A/T tire.

TrXus MT / STS :: Interco Tire

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
I know the one he is talking about...I'm sponsored by Interco,..and have toured their warehouse.

They are awesome in the sand.....but are HORRIBLE in wet grass....and don't even think about putting them in mud.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am thinking about a set of these STS's as well. But I am worried how they will do in the snow on the highway.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I know the one he is talking about...I'm sponsored by Interco,..and have toured their warehouse.

They are awesome in the sand.....but are HORRIBLE in wet grass....and don't even think about putting them in mud.
I was just posting that to make sure everyone that didn't know what the tire looked like had a picture.

If I was going to be truck pulling I would get them. If I wanted a tire that looked good for show. Then this is it. This tire reminds me of the M/T Baja Belted. Looked great but completely worthless off-road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts