Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

Don't harp on me too bad, but I've been a duramax guy since they came out in '01. Haven't had any problems with them and they have always treated me well. Recently, I have really loved the look of the 2017-2019 Super Duty's and am highly considering making the switch. Back in December I switched out my SUV (Yukon Denali) to a Platinum Expedition and we love it. I have a 2018 Denali HD now with 30K miles, but a friend of mind is very interested in it and he would rather buy sooner than later. I'd prefer waiting for the '20 model just because of the 10 speed trans, but I'm not against buying a 2019. My questions....I am torn between a Platinum and a Lariat. I am leaning platinum just because it looks like I can't get certain options that I would want on the Lariat. I think the Lariat with the sport package looks killer and it would save me time, hassle, and money because I like to black out a lot of hardware that comes standard with that package where on the platinum i'd have to rip off the grill, fender badges, and tailgate trim to either blackout, or color match. On Ford's website when I build one though, it does not allow me to get the LED lights if I get the Lariat Sport Package? Has anyone else found this to be true? The LED lights are a must for me as I believe halogen is a thing of the past. Also, how is the ride on these? It is my daily driver and I know it will be a little more rough than my Denali since it has the solid front axle vs. the independent.

I greatly appreciate any insight you guys can give me and I look forward to makin the move!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Lariat Sport can’t be built with LED lights. There are aftermarket solutions, Morimoto, that make killer lights. Ride has been significantly improved from one generation to another. It isn’t as nice as IFS and that’s where the GM will exceed expectations. The Platinum adds massaging seats and it’s only available on King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited trims.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lariat Sport can’t be built with LED lights. There are aftermarket solutions, Morimoto, that make killer lights. Ride has been significantly improved from one generation to another. It isn’t as nice as IFS and that’s where the GM will exceed expectations. The Platinum adds massaging seats and it’s only available on King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited trims.

Thank you for the info!! That’s seems odd that you can’t add the factory LED’s as an option, but doesn’t surprise me. GM does the same thing with options and colors in different packages. In regards to aftermarket, are you suggesting a projector retrofit, or just swapping bulbs?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
LED lights are not available on Lariat Sport. It will be available for 2020. Yes a little more rough because of solid straight axle but I love the Platinum interior and the seats are extremely comfortable.

IF you are looking to do something this month, let me know, I can get you in touch with someone who can help you out with a rebate.

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-7-discussion-2017-2019/1361907-3k-private-cash-offer-damn-2.html
Thanks for replying! I’ll speak with my friend and see if he wants to get this moving. Are the seats different from the Lariat to the Platinum? I love the seats in my platinum expedition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for sharing the link! Those look awesome. According to some threads i have read with guys who have put these on it sounds like these have better light output than the stock LED lights.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You can add factory LEDs with some work and Forscan.

I too was disappointed that my lariat sport they were not an option. Painted bumpers were mandatory though and my lariat sport was 5-6000 less than a platinum so it made sense.

I added LED bulbs to the head lights, fogs, license plate lights, and back up lights and they work good. Just need to aim them so you don't blind people. I like the LED bulbs and halogen housings b/c the lariat sport housings are tinted.

As said the 2020 lariat sports will have factory LEDs.

I suggest staying away from a plow prep package truck. The ride on anything other than a smooth highway is bad. I've never owned a smooth riding super duty though.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Thanks for replying! I’ll speak with my friend and see if he wants to get this moving. Are the seats different from the Lariat to the Platinum? I love the seats in my platinum expedition.
I believe the Platinum are the most comfortable. I can only speak about the 15-16s where the Platinum and KR used an upgraded foam in the seats for a more plush feel. They are extremely comfortable.. The only thing I wish I had was the massaging feature in my 15. I've plowed for 30+ hours straight in my truck and was never uncomfortable but had to keep adjusting due to blood circulation (which the massage would help).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe the Platinum are the most comfortable. I can only speak about the 15-16s where the Platinum and KR used an upgraded foam in the seats for a more plush feel. They are extremely comfortable.. The only thing I wish I had was the massaging feature in my 15. I've plowed for 30+ hours straight in my truck and was never uncomfortable but had to keep adjusting due to blood circulation (which the massage would help).
Thanks for the reply. I received your PM, but the site is not allowing me to reply to you. That sounds like a great deal, but don't know if i can string everything together in that time frame. Do you know how this all is structured?

Thank you again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went platinum over lariat for the following reasons: black headliner, classy interior, moon roof, LED headlights and fogs, color matched bumpers. Grill and wheels look really good too. Can't get the silver lining on the tailgate on a lariat...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was going to go with another KR but my better half talked me into the Platinum and I think I made the right choice. I love the color(Magnetic Metallic) and all the features and LOVE the factory LED head/fog lights. I also like the interior...gosh darn it...I love the whole darn truck. I filled in the rear "Super Duty" stamp with Eye Catcher letters and the "Platinum" stamp on the tailgate stainless with OEM looking black lettering. I promise I will show pics soon.

I think you can't go wrong with a Platinum. Adding all the features to a Lariat gets costly and after all the dust settles off your wallet you may as well have went with a Platinum

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was going to go with another KR but my better half talked me into the Platinum and I think I made the right choice. I love the color(Magnetic Metallic) and all the features and LOVE the factory LED head/fog lights. I also like the interior...gosh darn it...I love the whole darn truck. I filled in the rear "Super Duty" stamp with Eye Catcher letters and the "Platinum" stamp on the tailgate stainless with OEM looking black lettering. I promise I will show pics soon.

I think you can't go wrong with a Platinum. Adding all the features to a Lariat gets costly and after all the dust settles off your wallet you may as well have went with a Platinum
Couldn't agree with you more!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts