Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

My 5R110 needs to be reaplaced in my 08 F250, and I have a question for all the guys here that run the SunCoast Trans.

Is it necessary to go right up to the Comp Level Trans? What are the limitations of the Basic SunCoast Trans?

There is a 2500 price diff between the 2 models

Which Trans and options on it do you guys run?

Thanks

·
Dont Mess With Texas!
5,788 Posts
tagged :popcorn2:

·
Registered
303 Posts
my dad has a 6.0 and he has had the worst luck with sun coast trans, it has been pull out of his truck three times in the last 3 years, just my two sents.

·
haters gonna hate 24/7.
3,801 Posts
I have a 6.0 5R110 and would like to know about the suncoast trans.

Also, what are some other brands?? BTS?? John Wood??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:bump:

Seems like everyone talks about having a SunCoast or that being the only way to go.
Could some of you please help a fellow diesel lover out, my truck is parked till I replace the transmission.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Pretty much everyone and their brother with a built transmission behind their 6.4L has a SunCoast. There are also guys running Elite's transmission, which is a mixture of Elite parts and SunCoast parts.

I run a SunCoast in my truck with no issues. I have almost 40,000 miles on it, 75+ passes at the track, and a whole lot of tune testing.

·
Dont Mess With Texas!
5,788 Posts
Pretty much everyone and their brother with a built transmission behind their 6.4L has a SunCoast. There are also guys running Elite's transmission, which is a mixture of Elite parts and SunCoast parts.

I run a SunCoast in my truck with no issues. I have almost 40,000 miles on it, 75+ passes at the track, and a whole lot of tune testing.
what kind of "ball park figure" price is an installed fully built suncoast for the 6.4?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Built, does that mean the Competition Model, or base model with certain upgrades. That is what I really want/need to know.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
i think i am going to just put a torque converter in mine first and see how that does. I think that is probably the weakest piece.

·
Dont Mess With Texas!
5,788 Posts
i think i am going to just put a torque converter in mine first and see how that does. I think that is probably the weakest piece.
if you go buy a good torque convertor and put it on your stock tranny, and later turns out you need a new tranny can you reuse the torque convertor? im having a brain fart here :doh:

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
if you go buy a good torque convertor and put it on your stock tranny, and later turns out you need a new tranny can you reuse the torque convertor? im having a brain fart here :doh:
yes you can :thumb:. There is a local guy here in NM that said he will build me one :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
yes assuming you change the trans before it blows up and puts crap in the converter...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it necessary to go right up to the Comp Level Trans? What are the limitations of the Basic SunCoast Trans?

There is a 2500 price diff between the 2 models

Which Trans and options on it do you guys run?

Would really appreciate someone commenting on and answering my questions.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
what kind of "ball park figure" price is an installed fully built suncoast for the 6.4?
We put the full unit from SunCoast in my truck at the shop, so there was no labor. Matt just ordered a built unit from them, told them what we wanted in it, and they sent it.

Built, does that mean the Competition Model, or base model with certain upgrades. That is what I really want/need to know.
It's a built unit from SunCoast. It has billet clutches and steels, billet shafts other than the intermediate shaft, and there stock stall triple disc converter. They have added a lot of options since we did my transmission, so I don't know what all is included in the "Competition" unit. I would guess it has the new HD torque converter and everything inside is billet.

Like I said, the unit that I have has lasted me almost 40,000 miles with a lot of abuse, and my truck is around 600 horsepower at the rear wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent, thank you Jeff!

I am going to go with the "Competiton" model they list on thier site.
"Starting at $5,899.00, 5R110 TorqueShift Transmission for the 6.4L Competition billet input shaft, billet intermediate shaft and upgraded front planet."

If I am going to do it, I might as well find the extra money and go all out, just with that model trany and HD convertor its almost $8000, pretty hefty.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Excellent, thank you Jeff!

I am going to go with the "Competiton" model they list on thier site.
"Starting at $5,899.00, 5R110 TorqueShift Transmission for the 6.4L Competition billet input shaft, billet intermediate shaft and upgraded front planet."

If I am going to do it, I might as well find the extra money and go all out, just with that model trany and HD convertor its almost $8000, pretty hefty.
Don't waste your time not getting the Billet shafts and hubs, etc...... I have broken each and every one of these in "stages"........ Do it once and be done.... It will be WAY CHEAPER in the long haul.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Is Sun Coast trans as good or better then ATS trans? I've seen a lot of ATS purple trans on built up trucks but on the forums some guys don't seem to like them. Sorry I don't mean to hijack this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is Sun Coast trans as good or better then ATS trans? I've seen a lot of ATS purple trans on built up trucks but on the forums some guys don't seem to like them. Sorry I don't mean to hijack this.
I'd be intersted in some feed back about the ATS as well, since we are on the transmission subject.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts