Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be the best transmission for me? i do mostly driving without a load, but still want to be able to not worrie if i need to use it. i pull some logs out of the woods and haul some 4 wheelers some time but other than that its pretty much a pavement queen. the trannie is still pretty good but i just want to put more power to the ground. tell me what i need please. thanks :icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
both suncoast and ATS transmissions are very similar... they are both great quality as the internals are almost identical.... HOWEVER where the differ is ATS has a better warranty... and ATS has a better torque converter... plus ATS tends to hold more power.... either way you cant go wrong, it just depends on if you want more power... if you are going for more power Id say ATS...

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
id have to agree with bill... ATS

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea im pretty much stock right now, i have a 4'' turbo back and airraid intake. "the intake was on it when i bought it" but i would like to do an sct and maybe a turbo and some sticks. but prolly just the sct for a while. so i wont be into a whole lot of power. i guess i just see the price difference on their websites and wondered since suncoast is quite a bit cheaper

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also should i just get a torque conveter, and a rebuld kit? or would it be better to buy the whole trannie and sell mine?

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
suncoast kits are cheaper... if you get it fully built and assembled with TC like the ATS the price difference is a lot smaller... then it comes down to the warranty... dont get me wrong suncoast is very good... just ATS TC's are better and they handle more power... plus 5yr 500k warranty is tough to beat on a performance trans

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
id buy it as a whole unit, with the trans and convertor. i have had very very bad experiences with a rebuilt trans.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
a re-manned trans is a good idea... a rebuilt trans is very very bad idea.... you will always have issues with rebuilt... you want to pay for the whole unit

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay, so the price on suncoast isnt all complete? sneaky little ...guys lol yea i figured the full build were a better choice. now the core charge that means that is the price once i send them my old trannie right?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so which one of the ats trannies will i need they have the 4 different ones. - ATS Diesel
im thinking heavy towing and street performance or would one of the others be better?

·
Lt. Negativity
1,739 Posts
WOW really you guys follow by ATS. On a serious note Ive heard nothing but horror stories a buddy of mine went thru 4 of there trans in less then a year. Really just contact BTS Trans, alot of folks are running suncoast stuff and havent heard anything bad about it either. In my opinion I wouldnt. Go with Percision Industries or Suncoast for a Toqrue Convertor and there rebuild kit.

Here are my choices. Only 3 I'd go with.

Suncoast
NADP
BTS Trans

·
Registered
613 Posts
Heard lots of negative things about ATS as far as quality (except torque converters) and even worse about customer service. A BTS is cheaper and better as far as I can tell from what I've researched. About 4k ish for a BTS.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
ATS had some quality control issues up until about 4 years ago... i will admit that... they pulled their schit together and are making some of the most badass transmissions out there...

·
Lt. Negativity
1,739 Posts
IDK Shawn's NADP seems to hold up to 1004Hp. I would say thats the best so far.

·
Registered
484 Posts
#### ATS! - Powerstroke Nation

Another Transmission Shot. I would stay away from them. heard nothing but horror stories about their transmissions and company in general. just my opinion

I would get either a suncoast or NADP. Mine will most likely have a suncoast as they are 6 hours from my house. True, there are more suncoast failures that you hear of but think of how many people are running suncoast vs. others. Cant rule out a NADP as it has held up for those canadians...

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
again... ATS did have problems... you know I dont work for them, since I am the bumper guy... but all those issues stemmed from 4 years ago and older.. as for customer service, not everyone can be pleased... i probably have some pissed off customers too somewhere... and I try everything I can to keep them happy... ATS will stand behind their products to the fullest unless you are a dipschit about it or do something stupid... if you try and push 900hp with a stage 2 trans you deserve to be laughed at....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.