Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Summer fire training

540 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  TexasAggie09 
#1 ·
I've been in EMS for a little while but just finally got word that I'm going to be permanent enough with my new job to where I could finally go join a VFD. They're wanting to send me to fire school (no previous fire experience) at the end of July :yikes: (keep in mind its down here in Houston). I imagine its going to be hot (thats an understatement) considering I want to have a heat stroke just standing outside in that weather, let alone being near flames. Any of yall done training or anything in such conditions? It makes me nervous for heat exhaustion!

#2 ·
Just keep yourself hydrated you will be fine.

Its actually cooler with the gear on in a fire than without it

#3 ·
Dave is right, the part that will kill you the quickest is being out of shape. You can sit next to a rager with full gear on and just feel toasty, but as soon as you start humpin a yard lay of 1=3/4 hose down or up a flight of stairs, or your nozzleman on a 2-1/2 inch line, thats what will wear your azz out. Work out, keep fit, and drink a ton of water.

#4 ·
Keeping Hydrated is the Number 1 key. I've got borderline heat Stroke, about a year after joining my dept, just because I didn't drink enough water, almost passed out while on the nozzle of a 2 1/2 during a training fire about 10ft from the flames. You can think you are fine, but it hits you quick.

James.

#5 ·
Keeping Hydrated is the Number 1 key. I've got borderline heat Stroke, about a year after joining my dept, just because I didn't drink enough water, almost passed out while on the nozzle of a 2 1/2 during a training fire about 10ft from the flames. You can think you are fine, but it hits you quick.

James.
Hydrate,re hydrate,hydrate some more,"evacuate", and hydrate again.

#6 ·
Wont be going to Fire School there at A&M? One of the best in the country!!

#7 ·
Well just finished the week up at fire school and boy was it hot! Yall are right though...when we were sitting outside with no gear on and a fire 100 ft away lit up, that was much hotter than when in the bunker gear 10 ft from the fire. I don't think I've ever drank so much water or gone to the bathroom so much in my life. I mis-typed in my original post, it was here in College Station at A&M, not in Houston. Tons of fun though! Gonna miss all these ridiculous POVs and department vehicles drivin around lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.