Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the fourm, so forgive me if this needs to be dropped into an appropriate thread. I'll gladly relocate it as needed.

Here the general jist of things. I manage a fleet of about 50 Diesel F-series trucks ranging from 1997 up to 2011. So far I'm running into a rash of head gasket and/or egr cooler failures on our 6.0's ... Surprising huh? Got the headgaskets down to a science, in chassis with no need to pull the cab (though as many of you know, its much easier to disasemble without the cab in the way).

But what I'm running across is multiple egr cooler failures on Ford's "rebuilts". I have successfully accomplished a simple "weld a frost plug in that there hole" type block-off for our '04, however I am aware that on the 05 and up trucks it will throw a code. Being that our trucks gvw in the range of 18K and are run 6 days a week, for 50 weeks each year, and are consistently at weight, (or dare I say over-weight), I know that this type of failure will be recurring.

90% of the fleet have been deemed emmision exempt via special exception from the state, and i've been state authorized to delete emssions equipment "as deemed necessary, within reason, upon malfunction" ... so basically its game on!

As the coolers fail, I plan to block off on an individual basis, only as necessary. However, what I'm seeing is that most tuners seem to become "married" to one particular vehicle. Im not necissarily needing a tuner that will work on ALL years of my trucks, and I dont necessarily wish to load my trucks with ridiculous tunes that'll shred dually 19.5's and paint cars and pedestrians with a black "powder-coat" , mostly due to reliability and questionable driver competence(dont ask lol). All I really wish to do is delete the egr coolers, as necessary, on up to maybe 10 trucks and tell the computer to stfu and deal without it.

Any suggestions as to a tuner that would accomodate multiple vehicles without trying to "propose" to each one or having to buy each truck its own tuner?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
For the 05-07s have you thought about Bullet proof diesel EGR coolers? Also I would look at ford lastest ECM strat with updated EGR fuction that limits egr operation during idle and heavy loads. It also includes a feature that monitors oil cooler performance (main cause of egr cooler failure). the only down side would be the FICM tune that gets loaded but in that case you get a FICM tuner and load a mild or econo FICM tune but still better than the new FICM code that kills power and mileage. as for SCT custom tunes Eric at ID has built me a stock power tune with the EGR functioning and not functioning for my Powermax so he could do it for a stock turbo also.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
tuner for fleet

First welcome to the ORG, second I also suggest looking at the products of bullet proof diesel, their EGR coolers are have a tube core design that could possibly all but eliminate EGR failure. As for the tuner, most guys on here use the SCT since it will reprogram the transmission as well as the EMC. To my knowledge there is not a tuner for fleet applications but that is not to say there could not be some sorta deal worked out with SCT kinda like what companies do with software programs on computers. There are other factors to consider also, with most tuners they have a certain amount of unlocks before they have to be sent in to be reset, for a new SCT they have six after they are used up it cost 150.00 dollars to have it reset. With custom tunes or tunes with a specific settings they are normally locked to one strategy and unless all of the other trucks have the same strategy it will not work. I am not saying it is impossible but I think there are some obstacles to over come with your idea, maybe some of the others with more experience with chime in and lend a hand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts