Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

I'm new to the Power Stroke forum and a new owner of a 2004 F-250 with the 6.0 diesel engine. This is the first diesel I have ever owned, but I've been reading a lot of posts on this forum and have familiarized myself with this engine enough that I'm ready to ask what I believe will be an intelligent question.

What do you think is causing my low oil pressure problem?

History:
My truck ran fine when I bought it, but a couple of weeks later I was driving at 80 mph when I experienced a sudden loss of power. The engine still seemed to run fine at lower RPM's (below 2000), so I was able to drive it home (no faster then 65 mph). When I came to a stop and at idle (about 650 RPM), the oil pressure gauge went down to zero, but back up to "normal" with a small increase in RPM. Also, it takes a long time to start (about 30 seconds of cranking) with no oil pressure indicated while cranking. But the truck always starts eventually and runs fine at RPM's below 2000. I can drive it around town just fine, as long as I don't press the throttle down too far.

When the engine oil is cold, I get a "normal" oil pressure indication on the instrument panel at idle. Once the oil warms up a bit, the gauge will drop to zero. (I realize that a "normal" indication only tells me that the pressure is at least 7 psi.)

Using Torque Pro I have observed the following:

High Pressure Oil System:
  • No significant pressure during cranking until just before it starts, then it looks normal.
  • At around 2000 to 2500 RPM: - ICP drops dramatically, accompanied by a significant loss of power, - Injectors become pretty quiet. - IPR jumps to 83.9, - Boost cuts out completely.
  • When I let off the throttle to get the RPM below 2000: - Power returns, - ICP and IPR indications return to normal, - Injectors sound normal again.
  • Other indications: All seem normal to me.

Pending codes: (No Check Engine Light)
- P0113 - Powertrain: Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input
- P2287 - Powertrain: Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Intermittent
- P2290 - Powertrain: Injector Control Pressure Too Low

My Assumptions:
I assume I have a low-pressure oil system that can't keep up with the demands of the high-pressure system at high RPM. (If you believe otherwise, let me know.) I know from maintenance records that the low-pressure oil pump was replaced approximately 10,000 miles ago. I have pulled the low-pressure oil relief valve, used a magnet in the hole and found no metal debris there. Other than that, the only thing I've done is replace the ICP sensor because the old one was reading 0.0 volts. (The new one is 0.2 with key on, engine off, and 0.8 at idle.)

This truck was manufactured in October 2003, so it has the 2004 engine (as indicated on the passenger-side valve cover). However, it has the original style 2003 HPOP. I can tell by looking at the pump cover under the turbo. (Apparently they hadn't yet started installing the new style pump.)

So, what do you think? I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
You can remove the filter cap, filter, hold the anti-drain back switch down and see off it fills with oil To kind of see the low pressure oil in work, but with what you’re seeing a low pressure oil gauge may be in order.

The ‘03 oil pump can fail and somehow cause a low pressure oil fault, pressure relief valve, Low pressure oil pump, or possibly a loose oil pick up tube in the oil pan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can remove the filter cap, filter, hold the anti-drain back switch down and see off it fills with oil To kind of see the low pressure oil in work...
Thanks. When I tried that, the filter housing filled completely with oil in about 7 seconds. The oil did not drain back until I released the drain valve. BTW, the oil in the filter housing appears to have tiny bubbles in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the ICP to see if wet inside and/or test with a new one
I presume you mean the ICP sensor. Yes, I did replace it because there was no signal from it. The old one didn't appear wet inside. With the new ICP sensor installed, I was able to get actual high oil pressure system readings instead of the "expected" readings the PCM generates with a bad ICP sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ‘03 oil pump can fail and somehow cause a low pressure oil fault...
I believe you're referring to the HPOP. Since the loss of power occurred so suddenly, I wonder if that "ball bearing" plug in the HPOP came out , causing the sudden loss of low oil system pressure. That's what seems most likely to me at this point. But before I tear into it to find out (that's a huge job for me), I wanted to see if anybody else thought that might be the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Couple of observations
The suction tube o-ring in the oil pan can leak and cause those bubbles in the oil stream
you would need to drop the pan to get to the suction tube
the thing about bubbles is, they make the oil "squishy" and that will not compress well in the injectors
is it bad enough to tear into? - hard to say

Yes, likely the ball bearing has popped out of the hpop
you can remove the oil sender and blow air into the port, like with a ribber tip air gun - it should hold air pretty well
if air just "blows thru" then the ball is popped out
you would need to remove the pump to access the ball
if you can find it, hammer it back into the port and pein it in place
no real need to replace the pump unless it was under performing before the failure
o'course replacement may give a sense of security

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
I would suggest a Low Oil Pressure gauge, Fuel pressure gauge, Coolant pressure gauge
should be added to all 6.0 engines
many of the problems common in these forums could be known about before damage happens

A three gauge setup or an electronic setup with a single gauge and a switch to move from one sensor to another
rarely do you need to see all three at one time -- especially if Torque or Forcsan, or one of the other software are used

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, likely the ball bearing has popped out of the hpop
you can remove the oil sender and blow air into the port, like with a ribber tip air gun - it should hold air pretty well
if air just "blows thru" then the ball is popped out
Thanks for your advice. That sounds like an easy test before taking everything apart. I presume that by "oil sender" you mean the oil pressure switch for the low pressure system.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,676 Posts
I hate to ask the simple questions, but is your oil filter cap an OEM cap or an aftermarket one (the OEM cap is about 1 inch higher than the filter housing)?

Also, is your oil level good (especially looking for an abnormally high level)? No diesel smell to it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts