Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 f350 6.0 with 140,000 well taken care of mileage. I had recent hpop system leaks and truck wouldn't start hot/cold and replaced the dummy plugs/standpipes, STC fitting, o rings and seals on injectors, oil cooler, IPR valve and ICP sensor. Truck ran good but had hot a hot start issue from a keeper ring on an injector going through the LPOP. Recently I drove the truck 900 miles over a course of 2 weeks without any problems. A few days ago I was in the highway, truck cut out and died about a hour into driving. The ICP read 0 so I unplugged the ICP and it still wouldn't start. Towed it home and I pulled the IPR valve and the screen didn't come out with it. Fished the screen out and it had nothing stuck to it and wasn't sucked in. Bench tested the IPR with air and it worked fine. Reinstalled the screen and the truck started. I then drove the truck 30 miles without a problem, then on the way back it died again, same way. ICP read 0. I let the truck sit for a few hours, came back and after a 45 second crank it started but died immediately. Cranked again for about 45 seconds,the truck started and drove 20 miles home. I let it idle for an hour in the driveway and it never died. Tested the hpop system and only have a small leak from a spool valve on an injector.

Today I decided I would record my scan guage readings and took it for a ride to wait for it to die. I let the truck idle for 20 minutes and made it 10 minutes down the road. This time it stalled like I ran out of fuel. It sputted like I ran out of fuel too but I have a full tank. I had let off the throttle and was coasting down a hill, hit the gas and truck started sputtering and died. These are the stats from
Driving To Stall
IPR- 35.16 to 84.77
ICP-849 to 186
ICPV- 1.13 to 0.42
FICM SYNC-yes
FICMV- 51
FICM IGN-14
EOT- 181
ECT- 180
CMP/CKP SYNC- Yes
Battery voltage-14
Engine load-33%
This is the first stall where the temps have been below 205, also the shortest it's driven before stalling. I have 1 minor high pressure leak from the top of an injector but no where near big enough to cause it to stall then read 0 ICP. Seems to me that the IPR suddenly closes and oil pressure is lost. Hopefully someone can come up with something besides a high pressure oil leak. Thanks guys

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,833 Posts
Check your oil level, leave the dipstick out about an inch does it still read full? If so you may have fuel dilution in the oil. If oil level is fine then I’d say the IPR is bad. Solenoids getting hot then kicking out, cools off a bit then works again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been thinking the IPR is my problem even tho it's only 900 miles old. I bought it from eBay so I don't really trust it. I dealt with the fuel contaminated oil before when I changed the oil cooler. I went to change my oil and slid a 5 gallon bucket under the truck, heard splashing looked and it was pouring over the top. Pulled almost 9 gallons of fuel/oil mix out of the motor. I replaced the o rings, seals and copper washers on my injectors and thought fixed the contamination issue. I will have to check my oil level as suggested and see if I still have the problem. Thank you for your input

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'd really suspect the lpop. You had metal go through it, it needs to be checked. The fuel pump could be failing as well. From experience, you can hearth pump run, but it isn't necessarily pulling fuel from the tank, but it will still push fuel to the bowl. I suppose it could go bad the opposite way as well.
Then, of course there's the ebay ipr. Do you still have your old ipr? You could clean it up and try that to see if it clears your problem up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry should have added in that I went to replace the LPOP after having metal go through it and there wasn't really any damage but I replaced just the LPOP cover since I was there anyway. Would a damaged LPOP cause a random stall? If a damaged LPOP caused a random stall, wouldn't it happen at times at high demand of oil like climbing hills? I live in northern NH and climb massive hills everyday and I don't stall on a hill, it seems that I stall after a short coast when I start to apply the throttle again. Also, when I stall my ICP has read 0, 4 of the last 5 times and the truck wouldn't restart for 2 days after the first stall. Then there's times it starts back up immediately. I'm not doubting what your saying, just trying to offer more information. I don't have the old IPR valve, had a friend with a 6.0 that "borrowed" it 3 months ago. Looks like I'm buying a new IPR , I feel like my PCM is demanding it to a certain % but the IPR isn't really doing what the PCM is telling it to do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also when it stalls and doesn't start because the ICP reads 0, if I give it a squirt of starting fluid the truck starts right up

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yeah, go after the IPR. I wouldn't just replace it automatically, it doesn't hurt to make sure the uprising clean internally and that the valve moves freely when you push on it. Plan on replacing it though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
#loxdiesel , you nailed it. I had a problem with an injector leaking fuel into my crankcase way back when I first got the truck. I replaced all the o-rings ,top seals and keeper rings on the injectors and thought I fixed the problem, so I overlooked your comment. I was sitting here puzzled and remembered someone mentioning to check my oil level(loxdiesel) so I said screw it, mine as well take all advice and check it. Sure as hell I have way too much oil and it smells like diesel again. Obviously the diesel is thinning my oil out and when my oil gets hot it becomes the consistency of water and doesn't provide enough pressure in my hpop system so the truck stalls out.

Now I have to figure out which injector(s) are leaking and why

I have read somewhere on here that I can take my glow plugs out and use a boroscope to see which cylinder is wet or that I can remove the valve covers and use a dye to see where it's leaking from. The dye only helps if it's leaking on top of the heads tho so I have an idea but not sure if it will work and want to know what you guys think.

If I cycle the key to turn the fuel pump on, wait for the injectors to finish loading, remove the glow plugs and I insert something I can't lose into the glow plug hole, the leaking injector will leak onto whatever I have inserted and I find my leaking injector. Would that work?

Or would the injector only be hanging open while its in use?

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,833 Posts
I did that wrong, @LoxDiesel is the right way
Best thing to do is rig up fittings to apply air to the fuel side of each cylinder head. Give each side a few minutes to make sure it holds, one side will slowly bleed down (or both) then will all of a sudden drop like a rock after all the fuel is pushed out. Then tear down suspected side, apply air, take a quart of oil and soak each injector. You’ll find it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was wondering if I would be able to pressurize the injectors with air and if they bled down they were leaking but wasn't sure if that would work . Thank you @LoxDiesel I will build that set up tomorrow after work and see what I find.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know what happened to your video, it played for about 5 seconds showing the oil being poured in or around the injectors then switched to a different video. Now it gives me the option for several different videos but none of them are of the injector test

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,833 Posts
I don't know what happened to your video, it played for about 5 seconds showing the oil being poured in or around the injectors then switched to a different video. Now it gives me the option for several different videos but none of them are of the injector test
Just look up loxdce on youtube. Only have a couple videos on there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok thanks. Will the pressure bleed down no matter what once the air forces the fuel out?
I'm just looking for the side that bleeds down fast, correct?

I have to watch the injectors around the heads for the oil to bubble?

Sorry this is my first diesel and until 2 months ago had never even popped the hood on a diesel. Now I keep thinking I've learned everything and then there's another surprise and another test I don't know about yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@LoxDiesel say I have a couple injectors with bad spool valves that leak more than normal oil out of the weep holes on the top of the injectors. Would these bad spool valves ALSO cause fuel to blow by and mix with my oil?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@LoxDiesel , you 100% were right I can't tell you how thankful I am. I have been having problems like crazy and it's all because of 1 injector. I made the air tool you showed me and pressurized the passenger side. Injector 1 is leaking BAD from the seam where the injector screws together. It's not only leaking fuel tho it's leaking oil out of the spool valve weep holes. I have a domino effect. I have a high pressure oil leak and I have diesel mixing with my oil making it thinner so as soon as the truck gets warm the oil becomes the consistency of water and blows right out of the spool valve , oil pressure drops and the truck dies. The problem progressively got worse and the truck started stalling more frequently because the diesel was replacing the oil.
If it wasn't for your comment to check the dipstick I would still be chasing my problem because I thought I fixed the contamination issue.
Also, if it wasn't for your pressure testing gadget I would have ended up replacing all the injectors. Thank you. Hopefully this post helps someone else.
I used a boroscope to look around the injector and recorded the video. Towards the end you can see the leak. I'm going to try to upload it
Video won't upload, any tips on how to upload?

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,833 Posts
@LoxDiesel , you 100% were right I can't tell you how thankful I am. I have been having problems like crazy and it's all because of 1 injector. I made the air tool you showed me and pressurized the passenger side. Injector 1 is leaking BAD from the seam where the injector screws together. It's not only leaking fuel tho it's leaking oil out of the spool valve weep holes. I have a domino effect. I have a high pressure oil leak and I have diesel mixing with my oil making it thinner so as soon as the truck gets warm the oil becomes the consistency of water and blows right out of the spool valve , oil pressure drops and the truck dies. The problem progressively got worse and the truck started stalling more frequently because the diesel was replacing the oil.
If it wasn't for your comment to check the dipstick I would still be chasing my problem because I thought I fixed the contamination issue.
Also, if it wasn't for your pressure testing gadget I would have ended up replacing all the injectors. Thank you. Hopefully this post helps someone else.
I used a boroscope to look around the injector and recorded the video. Towards the end you can see the leak. I'm going to try to upload it
Video won't upload, any tips on how to upload?
For video, upload video to youtube, copy and paste in post. Glad you got it going and glad we could help

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@LoxDiesel I replaced all 4 injectors on the passenger side with remans, I hooked the air up to it (120lbs) it sounds like one of the injectors is dripping and the air very slowly bleeds down, is that a problem?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts