Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,654 Posts
I would bet that several were marginal when it came in and more failed when re-started after the maintenance. Sounds like more than stiction though - since it appeared to run fine cold and then failed after idling.

What was the oil like when you first drained it?

·
Registered
2006 F350 6.0 CCSB
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, I know you've all been dying for a resolution so here it is. I put 6 injectors in it (1 of the 3 that were still clicking was weak) and the truck started up and ran great, idled for quite a while and drove it around the block with no issues so far. I'll do a better shake down and more thorough test drive tomorrow but as it is I am saying the issue is resolved.

I still wish I could say with certainty what the hell actually happened and how I lost 6 injectors.... But you can't win em all I guess.

P.S. I wanted to do all 8 but I could only source 6 in a timely manner and the budget is getting tight anyways.

·
7,654 Posts
It is definitely an unusual issue, but MUCH stranger things have happened!

Hopefully 4 new ones went into the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
So, you ohmd the injector coils and some were bad? The ficm tests current draw on the coils each time they are fired, I would think a bad coil would throw a fault. The poppet in the injector is what makes the click when it hits the end caps, but stiction or other foreign material would cause the poppet to bind and not click. The injector would still test as good - electrically tho

Anti-freeze in the oil will cause injectors to stick -- that stuff is a by-product of sugar manufacturing process.

That transistor (FET) is a $1 part, odd how a small part is often the cause of a major repair

·
Registered
2006 F350 6.0 CCSB
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So, you ohmd the injector coils and some were bad? The ficm tests current draw on the coils each time they are fired, I would think a bad coil would throw a fault. The poppet in the injector is what makes the click when it hits the end caps, but stiction or other foreign material would cause the poppet to bind and not click. The injector would still test as good - electrically tho

Anti-freeze in the oil will cause injectors to stick -- that stuff is a by-product of sugar manufacturing process.

That transistor is a $1 part, odd how a small part is often the cause of a major repair
No, the injectors I bothered to check ohmed out fine. They simply wouldn't click during buzz test or pre clatter. Which I agree would lead me to believe they are simply stuck.

There was no coolant in the oil at any point that I'm aware of, and the failure occurred after it had fresh quality oil and filter put in.

Don't know what to tell ya 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
You could have just cleaned the poppets and put the injectors back in then.

·
7,654 Posts
Post #23 - I asked what the oil was like when it was drained. I think I would still try to nail that down before declaring total victory. A sample and an analysis might be helpful I would think.

·
Registered
2006 F350 6.0 CCSB
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Post #23 - I asked what the oil was like when it was drained. I think I would still try to nail that down before declaring total victory. A sample and an analysis might be helpful I would think.
The oil didn't appear contaminated by anything and didn't appear excessively dirty as if it had been extremely neglected, however the oil change sticker was from a quick lube place, so possibly very poor filter and low quality oil.

@Hydro, if it were my own vehicle I would have taken the extra time and risk of cleaning all the injectors and trying that, however we simply couldn't afford to have our bay tied up for potentially another 2 days while I removed and attempted to clean all the injectors, or possibly more had the procedure been a failure.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts