Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2006 F350 6.0 CCSB
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a certified mechanic, just did a egr delete and HG/studs on a 2004 king ranch with low original KM for a customer.
After finishing the job it started up great and idled perfect for a hour, when suddenly the RPMs dropped and it developed a hard miss, threw a cylinder 5 contribution code, however it ended up getting worse and while it never died, it wouldn't restart.
I did an injector buzz test and was only getting 3 out of 8 injectors clicking (2,3 and 8 I believe) this led me to believe a ficm issue, however buzz test gave me no codes and ficm voltages were good. I split the ficm case and found a piece that you could see got very hot and cracked, with a clear burnt smell. I figured great! I found the issue! So I replaced the FICM.
Sadly that is not the end of it. Still only have 3 injectors clicking. So on the passenger side I disconnected all the injectors and one by one I plugged in each injector connector into the one good injector on that side and performed a buzz test each time. Confirmed that every connector fired the good injector in its appropriate order.

So it appears I do indeed have 5 failed injectors out of nowhere. So I'm not sure if the failed injectors took out the ficm or vice versa. But how the hell does this happen? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Any professional input appreciated.
Thanks, TTiffin

Here is a picture of the fried ficm, you can see the broken and burnt component on the middle left.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'm not a professional, but are you sure you're getting the 3 plugs on the bottom of the ficm snapped in tight? There's also the chance that the oil rail seals are leaking. I had a harness that let the pins at the injector connector back out when plugging them in, chack that also. There's better mechanics on here than I am, but those 3 are big ones.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 F350 6.0 CCSB
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 6riders. I did confirm the ficm connectors were fully seated. As I mentioned I tried all the injector connectors on the known good injector and they all fired the good injector, so this virtually rules out harness and connector issues. As far as HPO leaks that doesn't explain the 5 injectors not buzzing or clicking during buzz test.

TTiffin

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,654 Posts
Where were the injectors purchased from?
Several remanufactured injector suppliers come to mind when hearing a story like this.
Sometimes spool valves aren't replaced, or sometimes cheap coils are used.

·
Registered
2006 F350 6.0 CCSB
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No injectors have been replaced by me as of yet, this is a fairly new vehicle to the customer so if any have been replaced in any recent history I have no info on it.

·
7,654 Posts
Could be a cheap injector supplier or could be poor oil maintenance.
Even though it is on the internet, I am not convinced that a bad FICM will ruin injectors.

·
Registered
2006 F350 6.0 CCSB
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be a cheap injector supplier or could be poor oil maintenance.
Even though it is on the internet, I am not convinced that a bad FICM will ruin injectors.
Definitely possible. Just seems very odd that I had a fried ficm and 5 failed injectors suddenly while in the shop. Leads me to believe one led to the other in some way. But we may never know 🤷‍♂️

·
7,654 Posts
Question for you - Are you saying the FICM came in bad, or do you think something happened to it in the shop?

With the FICM being bad like that, it isn't unreasonable to think it would have been a no-start with that issue alone.

·
Administrator
31,378 Posts
so you did try to fire the known good injector while all others were disconnected and had a pass on all outputs
did u try to fire a suspect injector with all others disconnected ? maybe with all disconnected a bad ficm would fire one when all the others were unhooked but was too weak to fire those 5 when all were hooked up ?
Have you verified voltages of the new FICM ?

it is not likley 5 injectors failed at idle after a FICM swap

also that power transistor chip with the broken insulator was probably still working, did you diagnose the FICM voltages of that unit first ? ( not that I would not have replaced it )

·
7,654 Posts
I am wondering about a current surge from something unintended.

There have been a number of posts about as many as all 8 injectors failing essentially all at once - but those were from injectors that had just been changed to Pensacola injectors or Warren injectors (Warren made good on the warranty, I assume Pensacola did also).

·
Registered
2006 F350 6.0 CCSB
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question for you - Are you saying the FICM came in bad, or do you think something happened to it in the shop?

With the FICM being bad like that, it isn't unreasonable to think it would have been a no-start with that issue alone.
After I completed the head gaskets and egr delete the truck idled perfectly in the shop for 1 hour until it started running like garbage, at which point I found that issue with the FICM.
So I was running under the assumption that the ficm spontaneously combusted in the shop, however I guess its possible it came in with some issues.

The truck DID come into the shop misfiring but it was burning soooo much coolant I knew I had to fix that before anything. Then since it ran perfect after I completed the main job I assumed I was in the clear, but its possible there was always more issues, perhaps intermittent, and then **** the bed all together.

·
Registered
2006 F350 6.0 CCSB
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so you did try to fire the known good injector while all others were disconnected and had a pass on all outputs
did u try to fire a suspect injector with all others disconnected ? maybe with all disconnected a bad ficm would fire one when all the others were unhooked but was too weak to fire those 5 when all were hooked up ?
Have you verified voltages of the new FICM ?

it is not likley 5 injectors failed at idle after a FICM swap

also that power transistor chip with the broken insulator was probably still working, did you diagnose the FICM voltages of that unit first ? ( not that I would not have replaced it )
Yes I tried each connector on a suspect good and a suspect bad connector while they were unplugged. I verified voltages of old and new ficms by scan tool and they were good.
It is quite possible The old ficm was still working as you said, however I still stand by replacing it. The injectors likely didn't fail AFTER ficm replacement but rather before. And I just blamed the visually failed ficm as I wasn't comfortable with it.

·
Administrator
31,378 Posts
well heck
the only other thing hat stands out is" idling for an hour "
some of these trucks are at the edge of alternator output and it can bring the batteries down at idle to below
acceptable limits and cause other issues

·
Registered
2006 F350 6.0 CCSB
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well heck
the only other thing hat stands out is" idling for an hour "
some of these trucks are at the edge of alternator output and it can bring the batteries down at idle to below
acceptable limits and cause other issues
Right, I had the batteries fully charged before this and although I didn't check the charging voltage when this occurred, it cranked over exceptionally. But I did also put a heavy battery charge on after that to make sure I had optimal battery voltage.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
OK so you tried each subject connector on the known good injector and it clicked in the correct order, right? If so, I see no point in wasting more time debating about the chicken or the egg and who begat who. Stranger things have and will continue to happen.

Pitter-patter...let's get at 'er. Time to swap out some injectors. :D

Oh, and keep an eye on charging voltage after so we don't have to do this again 😉

-jokester

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
2006 F350 6.0 CCSB
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK so you tried each subject connector on the known good injector and it clicked in the correct order, right? If so, I see no point in wasting more time debating about the chicken or the egg and who begat who. Stranger things have and will continue to happen.

Pitter-patter...let's get at 'er. Time to swap out some injectors. :D

Oh, and keep an eye on charging voltage after so we don't have to do this again 😉

-jokester
Lol that is correct about the connectors. And I agree if it quacks like a duck it's probably a duck. I'm currently waiting for injectors to show up so I'm open to anything I somehow missed Until they show up.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts