Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday truck runs and starts fine (battery light flickered but was fine). Today it starts fine but on the way to the gym I hear the radio starts cutting out and then the dash lights and soon everything electronic in the cab turns off. My tuner was reading lower and lower battery voltage as I drive, as low as 7 volts. Sometimes the radio would come back on if I take my foot off the pedal. WTF! How does this happen all of a sudden.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The battery light flickering is NOT everything is fine and was a warning. Down to 7 volts will kill the FICM. You should have gone back home as soon as you saw the voltage below normal.

Any electrical part can fail immediately.

A little late .....

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I recommend charging the batteries yourself if you can, if not, go to a parts shop and have them charge and test them. Also, bring along the alternator.

My bet is bad alternator and perhaps dead batteries. Recently had bad wiring on another vehicle I own cause a flickering light, but before that, had always been a alternator. If its as bad as you say, it will fail the test at the shop. If its intermittent, it may pass and go bad later. Among the other causes can be poor grounds.

Also, look at what you want for an alternator. Not all created equal. The stock alternator can be underpowered, 110 amps I think. Parts stores can sell you more amps for cheap, but you get what you pay for. A really strong alternator may need new artery cables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts