Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 6.0 I went thru a puddle of water that splashed into my intake and the truck died a few seconds later. So far I have changed the oil, (there was water in the oil) removed the glow plugs and cranked the engine pushed some water (a drop or 2) out of the glow plug holes, re-installed the glow plugs changed oil a second time after turning the engine over. It now cranks over everything sounds normal(no knocking) but it won't start. Anyone have any ideas? next steps?

·
Don't you worry about it
2017 F250
8,335 Posts
what kind of "puddle" was this

·
Administrator
32,741 Posts
what intake / filter were you running that let a "splash" in to the motor ?
K&N ?

plus how does a "splash" get in to the oil?

did it die or abruptly stop ??

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
7,393 Posts
need more info. not sure how water would get into the oil through the intake.

and by puddle do you mean lake?

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has a Zoodad mod with stock air filter. decent amount splashed in ran for a few seconds then choked, puff of smoke and died.

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
7,393 Posts
is there oil in your coolant?

by water in the oil, was it alot?

when was the last time you changed your oil?

how many miles are on your truck? studs/headwork?

·
Administrator
32,741 Posts
that OEM filter can load up and choke off a motor but it even with the zoodad mod would never let a "splash" hydro lock a motor

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
If he went through a big puddle, had a loose oil filler tube or dipstick connection, open CCV, or vent and there was enough pressure and time to make it happen, he could get water in the oil. Not likely but possible.

He could have damaged the air filter or with loose connections to the turbo, sucked water into the intake. He could have damaged a piston to the point of the water entering the oil system from a cylinder. Again, this is highly unlikely unless there is more to the story like: "I was swamping my truck and had it in 2-3' of water and I got stuck for a while" or as Zmann said, he really submarined it.

So as others have said, did the water really come from the incident or a different cause? Regardless, you will have to dry out the electrical system (all plugs), including ensuring the FICM and ECU are dry internally and have not been damaged.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.