Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a subwoofer in their Excursion? I would rather not buy a box and put it in back as I use the storage space regularly. The only option that I can think of is to cut into the rear doors.

Any ideas? Its a massive truck with alot of space, but I do use the space.

·
Premium Member
20,352 Posts
Has anyone installed a subwoofer in their Excursion? I would rather not buy a box and put it in back as I use the storage space regularly. The only option that I can think of is to cut into the rear doors.

Any ideas? Its a massive truck with alot of space, but I do use the space.
look into JL Auido... they have some custom boxes that are made for your truck.... wont take up hardly any space....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see in your signature that you are in LA. Any suggestions for audio equipment in the South Bay area?

Thank you for the JL suggestion. I will look into right now.

·
Premium Member
20,352 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in Manhattan Beach. There is an Al & Eds on Hawthorne in Torrance. Very close to my house.

The previous owner upgraded the stereo slightly, but its hard to hear over the BFG AT's and 7.3L. It needs some help or all of the concerts I went to as a kid are now having an impact on my hearing...

·
Premium Member
20,352 Posts
I am in Manhattan Beach. There is an Al & Eds on Hawthorne in Torrance. Very close to my house.

The previous owner upgraded the stereo slightly, but its hard to hear over the BFG AT's and 7.3L. It needs some help or all of the concerts I went to as a kid are now having an impact on my hearing...
i know what your talking about lol... that one of the first upgrades i did....ill see if he can talk to those guys at the al n eds or if not maybe get you the deal on the stuff here and ship it to that locatoin.... most subs arnt that hard to install....is it an aftermarket head unit?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may contact you about other mods later as I see you are in the mod business and local. Lucky for me the the PO did alot already. This is the first car/truck that I bought with alot of the work already done. I usually take the hit. I most recently built a race car from the ground up and it has been a money pit.

That subwoofer is really slick and out of the way. The head unit is stock. The speakers were upgraded and he put in an amp. I really should replace the head unit(I would like to be able to use my IPOD), add an amp for the sub and install a sub.

If Al and Ed's can do the install, that would be better as I spend what little time I have in the garage on my moneypit/race car.

Thanks for the suggestions. This is a terrific forum and great source of information.

·
Premium Member
20,352 Posts
I may contact you about other mods later as I see you are in the mod business and local. Lucky for me the the PO did alot already. This is the first car/truck that I bought with alot of the work already done. I usually take the hit. I most recently built a race car from the ground up and it has been a money pit.

That subwoofer is really slick and out of the way. The head unit is stock. The speakers were upgraded and he put in an amp. I really should replace the head unit(I would like to be able to use my IPOD), add an amp for the sub and install a sub.

If Al and Ed's can do the install, that would be better as I spend what little time I have in the garage on my moneypit/race car.

Thanks for the suggestions. This is a terrific forum and great source of information.
your very welcome.... ill call up my buddy tommarow and just get you a price for that JL one... ill ask him if anyone else makes one that hids the sub.....

·
Premium Member
15,678 Posts
look into the infinity bass box(not sure the name) its a seft inclosed 10" subwoofer thats powered, and it it will not stick out more than the spare tire,

i am looking into one myself

·
Registered
148 Posts
is any one using the JL audio custom sub box for the center console? if so how do you like it and is it really worth it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
... just thought I'd throw this out. (And yes, I know it's an old thread!)

Build a custom enclosure for the spare tire area... I did my own, and it turned out great.... and stealthy. I even asked JL if they'd like to do the same... but refine it for their speaker line (never got an answer).

Here it is for (2) 12s... I ended up going to (3) 10s instead.

... it was over built;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/johnnyairtime/2000 Ford Excursion V10/Box-ac.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/johnnyairtime/2000 Ford Excursion V10/Box-ai.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/johnnyairtime/2000 Ford Excursion V10/Box-ag.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/johnnyairtime/2000 Ford Excursion V10/Box-aj.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
I put on of the new JL W5 13.5" sub in the drivers side rear door that a shop made a enclosure in. Sounds Great! I have 1000W RMS alpine PDX amp powering it and it rocks!

I used teh spare tire area for the amp rack. Houses 2 PDX amps very nicely.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I put on of the new JL W5 13.5" sub in the drivers side rear door that a shop made a enclosure in. Sounds Great! I have 1000W RMS alpine PDX amp powering it and it rocks!

I used teh spare tire area for the amp rack. Houses 2 PDX amps very nicely.
Got any pictures of the sub in the door??? I would really love to see that - I am thinking about putting a 12" slim-line in the passenger side rear door. I would very much like to see how your enclosure looks!! please.....

I am so adverse to spending so much on that JL enclosure, even though it is slick. I like the rear door idea.

What did you guys do for a spare tire when you replaced it with subs and amps?? I travel cross-country and it would not be a wise endeavor to travel without a spare. Please advise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have (2) 8's in the rear pass door and (1) 12 in the rear drivers door. Shop built custom enclosures and carpeted over to match the truck. Looks stock and sounds great. I will snap some pics tonight of the finished product.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, pics would be great. For reference, how much did it cost to get the enclosures built and installed?? And where did they install the amps??

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The amps are stacked under the drivers side of the 2nd row bench seat. I have also located a secondary DVD player under that seat as well. I will snap some pics of the amps also.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The amps are stacked under the drivers side of the 2nd row bench seat. I have also located a secondary DVD player under that seat as well. I will snap some pics of the amps also.
Aaah. Nice. I have captains chairs in the second row, so that is not an option. Would you mind sharing the cost of those enclosures in the rear doors??

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
that looks nice man. Personally I would sacrifice some space for a ported enclosure, you cant match the sound with a small sealed. But it depends on whats more important to the owner. I would build a slim line box for 2 12s against the back seat ported to like 45-50htz. it'd only need like 100 watts per sub and it would POUND. Car audio is one of my hobbies.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts