Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I'm looking for some help here...in my old truck the amp was wired so that it had a switch under the dash that would kill the power. anyone know if I could wire up a similar switch using one of the upfitters? Thanks for the help! :icon_ford:

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Yeah, no reason you can't. Just run your remote wire to the uplifter switch and your done.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? it's that simple? Well cool deal...for some reason I was thinking I'd have to tie it into the radio itself somewhere.....Thanks for help man

·
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!
6,471 Posts
Sorry, being a former installer, I have to ask the reasoning behind this. :dunno:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's cool I figured that question would be the first response :hehe: I just got used to it in my old truck and thought if it were easy I would do it in this one. Plus I'd actually get to use one more of my switches ha I'm pretty random on my music and the sub sounds great with most things but a little out of place when listening to country :doh:

·
6,471 Posts
It's cool I figured that question would be the first response :hehe: I just got used to it in my old truck and thought if it were easy I would do it in this one. Plus I'd actually get to use one more of my switches ha I'm pretty random on my music and the sub sounds great with most things but a little out of place when listening to country :doh:
Well all music has bass tones in it, even country. That tells me that your bass is turned up way to high. I would turn down the gains on the amp and just use your head unit to adust your bass levels for certain kinds of music. Most head units use a low voltage, slow turn on so the amp doesn't pop when it receives turn on power. When you run a high amperage, 12 volt wire to the remote turn on of the amp, you will get that speaker pop which is no good for the amp or the sub. But, to each his own I guess. Good Luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that does make sense...when I had the switch put in I was still using the factory head unit and every time you turned the unit off the sub would just play a constant bass note, so I had the switch put in. Since then I've gone through a couple of aftermarket head units and such, just left the switch in place.

Since you are so knowledgeable, let me bounce a couple other questions off you.
1. what's the best 12v source? Straight to the batt with an inline fuse?
2. if I don't use the switch, where would I run the remote wire?

I'm ok with a wrench, but this electrical stuff is all new to me...thanks

·
6,471 Posts
Since you are so knowledgeable, let me bounce a couple other questions off you.

1. what's the best 12v source? Straight to the batt with an inline fuse?
2. if I don't use the switch, where would I run the remote wire?

I'm ok with a wrench, but this electrical stuff is all new to me...thanks
1: Yes, battery w/inline fuse
2: The head unit has a remote turn on wire. Usually blue, also known as the power antenna wire.

Are you using an aftermarket radio?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah...it's your basic Pioneer. Nothing special. Thanks for the info. you've been a big help!!

·
6,471 Posts
Yeah...it's your basic Pioneer. Nothing special. Thanks for the info. you've been a big help!!
No prob! I love working on vehicle electronics, so anymore questions, just ask.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have mine wired in like that just for the sub amp, that way when I pass a state trooper I can hit them off real quick, darn noise ordinance laws. County doesnt really care about it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to give a big thanks for the replies I got to this thread! I got my sub installed this weekend with no problems and I'm definitely no electrition...it's all because of the help I'm able to get from the .org...thanks again guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
blue with white wire for amp turn on, if you use cd the amp will turn off because the blue wire turns off when not listening to am/fm, i have 20yrs experience with 12v, mecp cert installer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts