Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a dumb question I think but a guy I know at work wants to know what the turbo off an 8V92 SS Detroit will do to his engine. Lots of boost or blow his oil pan off. He as an '00 PSD with a manual. I thought telling him how much work it would be just to get it to fit would convince him to drop it but I guess not.

Mods are a bully dog triple dog I think and gauges and I think thats mostly it. He has some stage ones but has never installed them!

And Discuss:doh:

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
This is a dumb question I think but a guy I know at work wants to know what the turbo off an 8V92 SS Detroit will do to his engine. Lots of boost or blow his oil pan off. He as an '00 PSD with a manual. I thought telling him how much work it would be just to get it to fit would convince him to drop it but I guess not.

Mods are a bully dog triple dog I think and gauges and I think thats mostly it. He has some stage ones but has never installed them!

And Discuss:doh:
Well......I'm sure he's gonna have to do some more modifying than just Stage Is. He'll have to do some fueling mods, ditch the BullyDog & get himself a DP or TW!

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured a turbo that big would blow gaskets

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
how much boost is it. under 40 pounds hes fine. up to 60ish he needs studs and springs, and push rods. after that he needs alot of work

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Way more then that I am sure. I dont know how much it makes but if I had to take a guess I would say 65 - 70+!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Way more then that I am sure. I dont know how much it makes but if I had to take a guess I would say 65 - 70+!
Yeah, sounds like it's got bad news written all over it!:hehe:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Can you even get a turbo that big to spool up enough to deliver that kind of boost on a little engine like ours?

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Can you even get a turbo that big to spool up enough to deliver that kind of boost on a little engine like ours?
I imagine it'd have to be some serious exhaust pressure! Boring would just be the beginning. What would it take to build up that kind of exhaust press? Higher compression pistons or lower?:dunno::doh:

·
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6
2,261 Posts
if it was TOO big, the lag would terrible, it may give him less performance than his turbo now

·
Registered
222 Posts
it takes a supercharger right below it on a 2 cycle motor and i really dont think you would build that much boost. i think it would be super slow to boost up also

·
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6
2,261 Posts
ok, so an 8v92 is a 738 cu. in. engine... a 7.3 is a 444...

that's a pretty big difference in displacement

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya its a huge diff. The 8V92 also has a super charger on it so I wonder what the total boost is?

·
Is it even worth it???
9,097 Posts
You have to be able to spool it to build boost... not sure with his mods he'd be able to do that.

·
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6
2,261 Posts
i'm thinkin it'd take a whole hell of a lot more than Ryan said the dude has in his truck to be able to boost with that turbo.

Would make a cool picture though with it on the engine!

·
Banned
722 Posts
he is not going to be making 70+ boost with stock injectors or stages ones i dont care what turbo you have.. Its just gonna be really laggy.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
His new brite idea is to use nos to spool it with. Didnt help that another guy told him about semi truck drag racers using compressed air to spool the turbo's!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
His new brite idea is to use nos to spool it with. Didnt help that another guy told him about semi truck drag racers using compressed air to spool the turbo's!
Oooooooooooooooh boy!:doh:

·
Registered
735 Posts
This seems like the sort of thing I would think of after a 12 pack of bud light. By all means, you should encourage him to do this. Just take as many pics as possible and make sure to have your video camera running when (if) he fires it up.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If he does ever piece this together I am sure I will be in OK already. Its probaly a good thing, the first time he fires that engine up with all the brite ideas he has put on it its going to blow like an atom bomb!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts