Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I'll start this from the top. I bought a 2001 reg cab 4x4 7.3 off craiglist for 1800 bucks. The previous owner set fire to the dash area to file and insurance claim...what a douche. It burned a little bit of the dash, headliner, carpet and steering column. It still turned over when I looked at it in the guys driveway. So we loaded it on the trailer and brought it home. I got all the replacement interior parts and started to get to work. I repaired charred parts of the dash wiring harness (with the dash removed). The only parts that were really burned were radio, column and HVAC harness. I replaced the column and reassembled.

So.... The truck cranks over great but no fire. I hooked up my AE and checked everything. It has plenty of HPO, Voltage, the tach moves, etc.... All of the fuses are in tact. The injectors flat out won't fire. When I do a buzz test I get just faint buzzes from the injectors. It's something I've heard before but only when the harness's are mistakenly not plugged in. The worst part is the buzz test comes back with no IDM codes. I have a spare IDM and PCM which I tried and NO fire. I ohmed all the wires from the IDM to the injectors which are all good. The IDM has voltage and good ground. I've been working on these truck for 10 years and never seen something like this.... I am so freaking stumped!:eek:wned: HELP!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem solved. After talking with Jim at rosewood diesel I inspected the injectors and found all of them to be worn badly. The clearances were so great that the selonoids couldn' lift the armatures. I rebuilt them and the truck starts and runs great. Pretty stoked now that I,ve got my 1800 dollar PSD running!

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Thanks for updating the thread, and good luck with the truck... sounds like a hell of a steal.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Rebuilt them yourself?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rebuilt them yourself?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Yes. I started doing this 4 years ago because my Dad has like 6 7.3's. I buy the parts from rosewood and machine, reseal and inspect them myself. It isn't for everyone but saves big bucks over buying new ones. We bought re-manned ones from some crappy diesel place on line and they lasted 2 months. I won't do that again.Cost's me about 200 bucks to do myself. Only problem is i can't bench test them so they get tested in the truck :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts