Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, it’s been about 6 months now since I’ve had my truck running again thanks to all of you. I have a few questions, first of all, let’s talk about studding a 6.0L. I’ve been very busy with school and work and find I do not have a lot of free time lately. I’ve been wanting to stud my 6.0, came across some articles about a different method of studding. I’ve heard both good and bad things about putting in one stud at a time, meaning take one head bolt out, put one stud in and torque then repeat until you have all new studs in. Cant decide on this one lol as I’ve heard so many mixed opinions. I would like to know the real answer to that question, I’m leaning more towards that’s a bad idea but let’s hear what you guys think.

second, I’m looking to get into tuning. My truck is an 07 6.0, stock headbolts, turbo, and new oem motorcraft injectors. Truck has 211k on it. Upgrades that have been done to the truck are: atlas 40 ficm tune, intake and intercooler pipes, a 5 inch straight pipe and the blue spring kit. Besides that, truck is bone stock. I’ve heard that the looney tune by quick tricks auto is supposedly relatively safe for stock headbolts as long as it’s not constant beating. To what degree is this true? I’m thinking of getting the sct gtx performance monitor anyway to monitor all my vitals and figured might as well do some research on just how dangerous it can be to run a tune. Obviously I’m staying away from canned tunes, So theoretically, if I don’t beat the **** out of my truck, keep it under 28 lbs of boost, but Ofcourse the occasional light pull and maybe a few burnouts here and there... should I be relatively safe from the truck equivalent to a condom breaking?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hello everyone, it’s been about 6 months now since I’ve had my truck running again thanks to all of you. I have a few questions, first of all, let’s talk about studding a 6.0L. I’ve been very busy with school and work and find I do not have a lot of free time lately. I’ve been wanting to stud my 6.0, came across some articles about a different method of studding. I’ve heard both good and bad things about putting in one stud at a time, meaning take one head bolt out, put one stud in and torque then repeat until you have all new studs in. Cant decide on this one lol as I’ve heard so many mixed opinions. I would like to know the real answer to that question, I’m leaning more towards that’s a bad idea but let’s hear what you guys think.

second, I’m looking to get into tuning. My truck is an 07 6.0, stock headbolts, turbo, and new oem motorcraft injectors. Truck has 211k on it. Upgrades that have been done to the truck are: atlas 40 ficm tune, intake and intercooler pipes, a 5 inch straight pipe and the blue spring kit. Besides that, truck is bone stock. I’ve heard that the looney tune by quick tricks auto is supposedly relatively safe for stock headbolts as long as it’s not constant beating. To what degree is this true? I’m thinking of getting the sct gtx performance monitor anyway to monitor all my vitals and figured might as well do some research on just how dangerous it can be to run a tune. Obviously I’m staying away from canned tunes, So theoretically, if I don’t beat the **** out of my truck, keep it under 28 lbs of boost, but Ofcourse the occasional light pull and maybe a few burnouts here and there... should I be relatively safe from the truck equivalent to a condom breaking?
I'm running the Looney on stock bolts. I don't find it to be a super hot tune, I'm also at 218k. I think that's a safe tune to run. Make sure, when you place your order, to list the atlas40 as a mod (IIRC the order form asks if you have an ficm tune).
If I where to stud, I'd do gaskets at the same time,especially at 200k+ miles, it's your best bet.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running the Looney on stock bolts. I don't find it to be a super hot tune, I'm also at 218k. I think that's a safe tune to run. Make sure, when you place your order, to list the atlas40 as a mod (IIRC the order form asks if you have an ficm tune).
If I where to stud, I'd do gaskets at the same time,especially at 200k+ miles, it's your best bet.

Thanks for the input, and are you by any chance running an sct performance monitor? I will be buying one soon, so I’d like to hear what people have to say about it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The SCT for monitoring, not from personal experience, from what I hear is somewhat lacking in the monitoring part of it. Again no personal experience with I have run edge monitors in both my powerstrokes and have had nothing but good reviews for it. Now that gets pricey when you have a tuner and then a separate monitor but such is the game.

As far as running a tune without studs I personally did it for a while and then yep in short time I needed to do studs and head gaskets. I also wasn't running the Atlas 40 on top of a tune. My opinion would be to do the studs and head gaskets first because even running the Looney I think you are going to pop them gaskets in short time anyway. Again these are just opinions, you may get lucky and run that thing till you die and never have an issue, unlikely but there's a chance lol.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thanks for the input, and are you by any chance running an sct performance monitor? I will be buying one soon, so I’d like to hear what people have to say about it.
No, I use torque pro for monitoring.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The SCT for monitoring, not from personal experience, from what I hear is somewhat lacking in the monitoring part of it. Again no personal experience with I have run edge monitors in both my powerstrokes and have had nothing but good reviews for it. Now that gets pricey when you have a tuner and then a separate monitor but such is the game.

As far as running a tune without studs I personally did it for a while and then yep in short time I needed to do studs and head gaskets. I also wasn't running the Atlas 40 on top of a tune. My opinion would be to do the studs and head gaskets first because even running the Looney I think you are going to pop them gaskets in short time anyway. Again these are just opinions, you may get lucky and run that thing till you die and never have an issue, unlikely but there's a chance lol.
The sct monitor just came in. Gonna hook it up later and see what it can do, I’ll post pictures if anybody wants to see.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use the sct livewire ts and it gets it done. I run the Looney, for non studded, and really like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I figured I’d buy the sct gtx because it looked nice and fancy and I assumed because it was the expensive one it would be good. WRONG. Hooked it up to the truck and the tuning function wouldn’t even work. Wasted an entire night on the phone with the tech support guys, they couldn’t fix it over my PC so I had to send it back to get repaired. Still waiting on it to come back in the mail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts