Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that my miles to empty indicator was acting funny. It read 99 miles to empty this morning and then after traveling 17 miles it was down to 63. Byt the time I had driven less than 40 miles it was down to 0. I filled the tank and the gauge reads full but the miles to empty will not reset.

Has anybody else experienced this and what is the fix? I'm thinking about removing the battery cables to reset everything but I doubt that's the answer.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
:doh: Oh geez!

Seriously though, Matt, I've haven't heard of that problem yet. :confused: Goin to guess and say the computer?:dunno: Anything else of the display acting funny?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that guy did leave the small ground wire on the firewall off! I just found that today but the bolt for it was actually laying there and it's all good now.

So what am I in for? Is the display expensive to replace? I sure don't want to be driving around with the low fuel buzzer going off and needing to be reset every 10 miles.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel gauge shows full and everything else works fine. It just started acting stupid today with the miles clicking off like 3 to every one that I travel. The engine hours, miles and trip meter still work fine.

I'm going to try the battery cables in a few minutes to see what happens.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulled the battery cables and it seems fine now. I guess the computer just needed to reset.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only thing I can figure it must be like the climate control. It will also blank out once in a while and needs a hard reset. I sure hope it's not a sign that big red has electrical gremlins!

·
Registered
786 Posts
FYI if you hold both buttons and then start the truck it goes into diagnose mode. Theres a bunch of paramaters and values that should show, I don't have the sheet anymore but one in there was for the fuel sender input. But whatever since you got it.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. I didn't try that but I will next time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts