Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Ive got a question for you police officers fire dept guys and the usual know it alls J/K.

I haul horses with a 8 horse sundowner trailer and I always haul heavy loads with 8 horses and all my show stuff. I do lots of long hauls and have my fair share of blowouts and breakdowns. What I was wondering is what you guys thought about adding some sort of extra light as a hazard light to the back of my horse trailer. It has all LED tail lights but its still not as bright as I would like it to be. awhile back when my truck blew up (see avatar) I was stranded on the side of the road for a long time and by the time I got going agin it was dark. I almost got hit by some tard not paying attention. I dont ahve to have strobes but was just wanting something to let people know im there. If ive got a trailer load of horses I dont want to get hit and loose 200,000 grand in other peoples show horses. Let me know what you guys think or if yall have any other ideas. i have some of those reflective triangle deals you set out and I use them if I break down. Oh and I dont want to break the law by using strobes so if thats illegal please let me know.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
This MAY vary state to state and I am FAR from an expert BUT in my experience, using an amber or yellow light bar or set of strobes is perfectly legal when stopped. (some places even in motion) Best thing, IMHO, is ask an LEO in your area. Hope that helps :dunno:

:bump:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This MAY vary state to state and I am FAR from an expert BUT in my experience, using an amber or yellow light bar or set of strobes is perfectly legal when stopped. (some places even in motion) Best thing, IMHO, is ask an LEO in your area. Hope that helps :dunno:

:bump:
Thanks here is a bump back to the top

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Perfectly legal Colt. However it has to be amber for your use

·
Registered
931 Posts
truck light makes self contained LED flashers..they have multiple flash patterns and are purity easy to wire

·
Registered
269 Posts
Perfectly legal Colt. However it has to be amber for your use
Don't they have to be red for the rear of the vehicle? I was always told amber on forward facing lights and red for rearward facing lights.

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Don't they have to be red for the rear of the vehicle? I was always told amber on forward facing lights and red for rearward facing lights.
If he was going to mount them in the taillights yes. But the best most attention getting thing would be amber on the top rear of the trailer.

Red on anywhere but the taillights is illegal unless you are an emergency vehicle

·
Banned
3,780 Posts
I don't know the law there, but I can use any color lighting besides blue while stopped.

And can have 2 amber lighting running while in motion.

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
I don't know the law there, but I can use any color lighting besides blue while stopped.

And can have 2 amber lighting running while in motion.
:hehe::hehe: Id love to see you have red strobes on the front of the truck. Thats illegal to. Federally unless you are an emergency vehicle

G

·
you must use amber or white. i have put them on my construction vehicles that pull a trailer. just have to put another plug on the rear of the vehicle with a + and -. wire it to a switch inside the tow vehicle and mount them on the triailer. i have heard of some people using the back up light pin on the regular connector. i have always mounted a second socket on the truck (usually a small 6 pin type) and wired it up.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive got some strobes that mount in the tail light and was kinda wanting to do that. Ive got power run all the way to the back of my trailer for load lights so I could just tap into that and put a switch to turn them on back there. I dont want them on the truck at all just the back of the trailer. So I could use amber up top. What about taping them into the tail light's and then they would flash red just like the regular flashers just alittle faster. I would think that would be legal since its just kinda enhancing the regular flashers.

G

·
nope cant have any flashing red other than hazard lights. does your trailer have only red led lights on it or does it also have the amber and/or white back up lights??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.