Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing a coolant flush when I stripped out the block plug trying to remove it with a 8mm allen head. Any suggetions for getting it out ?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
An allen head? I have had good luck in the past getting stripped allen head bolts out with an appropriately sized torx bit. I guess it depends on how stripped it is though. When I bought my old dirtbike, I went to put a new sprocket on it, and found all 6 allen head bolts were stripped to the point that using an allen head wrench was hopeless. I found a torx bit that fit into the corners (what was left of them) of the allen head on the bolt, and ran them out no problems.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Because it looked like mine were going to strip, I just knocked out a freeze plug on each side to drain during a flush.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
This is why I updated my block drain plugs with fumoto quick drain valves and did the updated water separator drain plug. Op you can try the Torx bit trick but if it doesn't work take some jb weld and fill the hole on the drain plug and stick the Allen bit in and let it set up completely then try again. You will need to either replace the drain plug with a new one or spend the extra money on a fumoto valve for it. As well as replace the hex bit.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
What's a FUMOTO plug?:tard:

·
Registered
858 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Id use some pb blast then get an easy out drive it in with a hammer and just turn it out.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Id use some pb blast then get an easy out drive it in with a hammer and just turn it out.
Good luck with that. You ever tried to mess with those plugs before?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, got it out with a torxs bit. No i need to replace the plug. Where can i buy one.

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good luck with that. You ever tried to mess with those plugs before?
Nope mine weren't stuck. but i have used the easy out and pb blaster many other times when other people bring me their problems. i have a nice selection of bits and easy outs because of that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Because it looked like mine were going to strip, I just knocked out a freeze plug on each side to drain during a flush.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
youre kidding, right?

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
A torx bit is a poor mans extractor, works on almost everything hex that's rounded out

·
Registered
249 Posts
A torx bit is a poor mans extractor, works on almost everything hex that's rounded out
yup, and the best thing ive ever bought was a set of "Grabit" stripped screw removers. a must for any tool box. got them at home depot i believe. :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts