Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing a filter job and went to drain the water, found a stripped plug. :dunno:

half *** tried the easy-out and ended up with this

I ordered the updated plug but I was wondering if anyone had a source or part number for that front cover with the 4 bolts? I would rather just buy the cover and gasket, put the plug in it, remove the old cover and slap the new one on.

not really interested in pulling the cover, diesel draining all over while I try and get the old plug out, and then having to bleed the air out of the lines again lol

·
Registered
208 Posts
Since you are getting a new drain plug, try using a chisel and hammer and tapping it around.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did a google search and everyone says they get so corroded they cant get them out, thats why I was looking for the whole cover.

you would think that they wouldn't seize up since they spend their whole life surrounded by delicious lubricating diesel fuel

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
might as well try it, I have a ton of those things. just spray it with brake cleaner first and jam it all in there?

any way to try heating it on/off the truck that wont blow me up?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
The JB Weld will probably work, no need to heat it. Also, diesel won't blow up like gas.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
I'd be more inclined just to get a new cover, wif, gasket and plug. There is a kit available.

Actually my parts guy just tried to sell me one for cost. He has to send it back because no one wants it

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whats his cost? he can send it to me lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
fuel/water drain plug siezed

Bought the new cover but was wondering am I gonna get 30 gallons of diesel on the driveway when I take the old one off? Also do I need special tools to get the fuel lines off. Is there special crimps i need? Any help will be appreiciated. Once I get the old one off I will get the plug out in the machine shop and sell it so if anyone wants a cover let me know.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Fuel cap should be vented but loosen it anyhow. Unscrew the filter to drain what is in there and then go for the cover. That is what I would do anyhow.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
fuel will run down the frame, driveshaft etc so be warned if you have a nice driveway and a small drain pan. like said above once the hfcm cap stops draining fuel you should be good to pull the lines and the cover.

the lines are normal quick disconnect fuel lines. the size of the line escapes me right now though, sorry

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, I wasted the time at the dealer today but I did escape with a schematic showing I need part # 9B249, manifold service kit. they want 175 for it, seems a little high to me. anyone have a used cover they want to sell?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Wow, good chunk of coin for that cover. Did you get the old cover off? I'd exhaust every effort to remove the old plug before I bought the new cover. It's going to be easier when the cover is on the bench...easy with the heat as the cover is aluminum and the plug is brass. The hammer and chisel idea sounds like it has some potential. Maybe dremel a small divot in the plug for the chisel to grab.

·
Registered
5 Posts
stripped thread

I bought the kit and put it on. I now have the old one on the bench with the stuck plug. I will sell it for twenty five , fifty if I remove old plug. The new kit came less a heater, ??? I thought that was odd but the instructions were clear that that was the way it is and i should remove relay. About a quart and a half of Diesel came out. I also changed the fuel [email protected]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really wanted to pull the old one and put the new one on in one shot. Having the cover off for a while doesn't sound fun when it comes time to bleed all the air out of it. Plus if i pull it out and crush/mangle it I'm stuck with no damn cover until I pay 200 bucks and have them get the part delivered "uhhh probably tomorrow sometime" haha

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought the kit and put it on. I now have the old one on the bench with the stuck plug. I will sell it for twenty five , fifty if I remove old plug. The new kit came less a heater, ??? I thought that was odd but the instructions were clear that that was the way it is and i should remove relay. About a quart and a half of Diesel came out. I also changed the fuel [email protected]
emailed you

·
Registered
5 Posts
stuck plug

Two things you can try on the stripped plug. Use jb weld and leave the allen key in overnight and then try to torque it off. 2 hammer in a torx.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts