Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While accelerating and boost is 18-20 lb, I often hear a short whistle come from the engine area when shifting gears. It happens right after the shift and while the boost is dropping. It's not the normal whistle you get from the turbo spooling up and it only last for about 1 second. Any ideas of what this might be?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
The Turbo Wastegate.

Its normal:thumb:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
yeaup!:thumb: No need to worry. Just the wastegate doing its job

All your hearing is the wastegast letting out excess boost pressure being as you shift gears to slow the turbo back down.

·
Registered
121 Posts
THE 6.0 DOES NOT HAVE A WASTE GATE!!!! The turbo had variable vanes that control the boost. The sound you are hearing is the turbo winding down but not from a waste gate. The vanes inside the turbo move and change the speed of the exhaust gas that hits the impeller. Thus changing the sound.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
THE 6.0 DOES NOT HAVE A WASTE GATE!!!! The turbo had variable vanes that control the boost. The sound you are hearing is the turbo winding down but not from a waste gate. The vanes inside the turbo move and change the speed of the exhaust gas that hits the impeller. Thus changing the sound.
You are correct.

I didn't even notice this was in the 6.0 form.:doh::doh::doh:

Ignore everything i said. It doesn't apply on a 6.0

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sound just started this year. I have 50K miles on the truck. Could this sound mean that my turbo needs cleaning?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts