Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving my 07 F350 (118K) yesterday, I headed down the road and came to a stop at an intersection. The ECT was just over 120 and the TFT was still under 100. As I sat waiting for traffic, the RPMs started dropping and the truck tried to lurch forward. I quickly shifted the transmission into neutral to avoid stalling the motor.
I then shifted into drive again and it started lurching again. This time, (I don't know why) I hit the tow/haul button and it immediately return to normal. Turning the tow/haul off, it started lurching again. A few days ago, I also noticed that the engine would bog when accelerating from a stop, like there was a drop in power even though it did not feel like any loss. But now I realize that it was probably this same issue.

I recently had a failing PC-A solenoid. Intermittently, the truck would pause when shifting into drive and then bump harshly as the transmission engaged. Sometimes, it wouldn't downshift when coming to a stop. I replaced the PC-A solenoid and it operated like new. I'm almost afraid to admit it, but I didn't put an OEM solenoid in. I thought I purchased one but realized later the ad said "OEM replacement", which isn't really the same thing is it?

Now, about 2 months and 1500 miles later, I wonder if this is the issue or if I have other problems. Could it be the TCC solenoid going bad too?

I understand that premature lockup can be caused by a lack of pressure but my transmission fluid is full when hot and 12qts of it are new Mercon LV. New internal and external filters.

I'm thinking I should replace the aftermarket PC-A solenoid with OEM and do the same with the TCC solenoid. New filters and fluid. See what happens? Suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Last night I decided to replace the internal transmission filter. When I replaced the primary control solenoid a month ago, I reused the filter because I had just replaced it the week before. However, when I removed it to replace the solenoid, the seal remained in the transmission as they usually do. I suspected that reinserting the filter to the seal may have damaged it and may be allowing air in the system.

Well, I was right, the seal was damaged. However, replacing the filter had absolutely no effect on the operation of the transmission. The problem is still there. ... And getting worse.

I have ordered a new OEM solenoid, valve body gasket and wire harness seal. I'll post and update when I get those installed.

Does anybody else have experience (good/bad) with non-oem solenoids?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did that cure your problem? I'm having the same issues. Well, a little worse. But I'm replacing the solenoids tomorrow.
It did not cure my problem. However, I think you are on the right track. I ended up replacing my TCC solenoid and the problem was cured.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did that cure your problem? I'm having the same issues. Well, a little worse. But I'm replacing the solenoids tomorrow.
Do you also notice that the tcc has harsh lockup?

My previous response may have been a little misleading. The filter did not solve my problem. The new own solenoid did. Please do not waste your time and money on aftermarket solenoids.

Let me know how the solenoids work for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts