Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first PSD this weekend.

Its a 2005 F-350 Lariat 6.0L PSD. Nice truck but it makes a sweet bitter smell in the exhaust. Not sure why? Coolant is normal! oil is normal! no white smoke!

Any one have any idea's?

·
Don't mind me
27,557 Posts
Sweet generally is coolant. :eek:hnoes: Hope it isn't.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Do you have a catalytic converter on it. I ask because maybe the truck had egr cooler problems, headgasket problems where it was burning coolant. Now it is in the catalytic converter causing the smell. I know this happens with gas powered vehicles. Coolant in the cat really does a bad a number on the cat too.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
any idea how long factory warinty is good for on it? it has 100,000KM on it and its an 05
Your out of warranty unless you have the extended warranty.

I would remove the cat and see if the smell goes away. Most likely that is what is causing your problem. Unless you are burning coolant for some reason.

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
any idea how long factory warinty is good for on it? it has 100,000KM on it and its an 05
100,000 KM, how many miles is that??

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Ok so I am messed up. KM's are smaller then Miles. Ok your still under warranty then.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
so what should i do does removing the exhaust mess with your warinty?
Being under warranty I would take it to the dealer first. They can look up and see if there was any work that may have caused coolant to get into your exhaust. If there has been then they may replace the catalytic converter for no charge.

Or they may find a problem that needs to be repaired. Either way it shouldn't cost you nothing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was thinking i may just put an aftermarket exhaust on it as well would that mess with the warranty? Any sujestions on a good system?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts