Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have searched all over this bloody site and haven't seen a post with my situation. It happens when towing about 8,000 lbs or more uphill, and it happens only ocassionally. I tow in tow haul mode. The situation is that the engine DROPS 300-350 rpm for just a moment, then goes back to normal. Like its shifting into a higher gear, it seems to me. Strange. Anyone have any thoughts? i'm headed on a several thousand mile trip this summer towing 9,000 lbs, so any help now would be appreciated.

I drive a Ford f250 6.0 diesel, 120,000 miles, with banks exhaust and upgraded ford turbo. pretty much stock, except as mentioned.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Well, I have searched all over this bloody site and haven't seen a post with my situation. It happens when towing about 8,000 lbs or more uphill, and it happens only ocassionally. I tow in tow haul mode. The situation is that the engine DROPS 300-350 rpm for just a moment, then goes back to normal. Like its shifting into a higher gear, it seems to me. Strange. Anyone have any thoughts? i'm headed on a several thousand mile trip this summer towing 9,000 lbs, so any help now would be appreciated.

I drive a Ford f250 6.0 diesel, 120,000 miles, with banks exhaust and upgraded ford turbo. pretty much stock, except as mentioned.
Could be your trans slightly slipping? How old is the trans fluid?

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
Could be the TC locking and unlocking. Got monitor?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't believe its the trans slipping, as, it seems to me, if it was slipping the rpms would INCREASE. mine DECREASE. but i'll give it more thought and keep your comment in mind as I work through this issue thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no monitor. if the turbo locked up, might the rpms drop much more that just 300-350? not sure how to check for that. the computer isn't showing any codes thanks for the response...i'll keep your thoughts in mind

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
Torque Converter not turbo.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If you're going on that of an extensive trip this summer, I would absolutely buy a monitoring device.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Torque Converter not turbo.
i have no idea what a slipping torque converter would feel/act like. can you share with me more about your reasoning so I can discuss intelligently with my mechanic? i'm gonna get the trans flushed and new filter in the next week or so....might that help if it is the TC?

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
I'm not saying the torque converter is slipping necessarily, what I was saying was the TC was going in and out of "lock". The TC is a fluid clutch, but to make the automatic transmission work more like a manual, when conditions are right, it locks and it's a solid connection. Pulling a load uphill, it's possible that the TC was going into lock and that's why you were seeing the drop of 300-400 RPM, but the PCM/TCM decided that was too much and kicked it out of lock after a short time. This could happen several times pulling a long hill if the conditions were right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts