Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck just started making a strange clank sound from the drive line. I only happens from 1 to 9 mph and is very hollow sounding. It almost sounds like something is rolling around in the drive shaft. I have look at the u-joints and they look go. I have done the drive to reverse while stopped and i don't here or feel any u-joint slop. Please help the noise is driving me nuts:tard:

Thanx in advance,
Rob

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so here is the deal. I had my dad help me look for were the sound was coming from. For the life of me i count only get the truck to make the sound one and it was very short. It sounds like its coming from the drivers side tire. I drove the truck about 30 times back and forth, lifted it on jack stands drove it in 2 and 4wd with and with out brakes applied still no more sound.

So i gave up and went home and at the last light before my house im almost to a comeplete stop and i hear scrape -----clink----clink---clink----clink. I am ready to scream.

I have checked the pads and they look good and i dont see anything rubbing.

If anyone has any ideas please post them.

Thanks,
rob

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We checked and there was no play in the tire up ,down, left ,right. I for got to add my dad thought i could be the brake dish shield rubbing or having a rock stuck in ti but we looked and i didn't see any rocks and i pryed the shield back to give it more room and it didn't help.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Did you get this fixed or at least find out what it was?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had similair problem, but went away. Check front sway bar end links and sway bar bushings. The replacement parts from Ford are updated to sealed, lubricated ones instead of the dry rubber ones on the sway bar links. This is very common on these vehicles. Not a hard job to do at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts