Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is having an intermittent noise that he describes as sounding like a loose speedo cable. He says he does not notice any changes performance wise when the noise starts and he says if he taps his brakes, or puts his blinkers or hazards on it stops. His truck is a stock 2002 F350 4x4 crewcab. Since these dont have cables I am not sure where to start looking or what exactly to check out. He said he has not seen any check engine lights but I will hook it up to AE as soon as I get a chance to go by his house. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,487 Posts
Sure ;)

What you're hearing is the turnsignal relay I'd bet. You can verify this by seeing if that noise stops by just pulling down on the lever to start them. If so, here's what happened to me.

The problem initiates in the 4-Way sw at the top of the column that is Very good at collecting dirt & dust because it faces Up. The contacts in there get loaded-up with crud and make poor contact. This causes enough of a current drop that the relay is just barley able to maintain closure of the coil. So, it "Buzzes"...

The fix is sometimes, but often just temporary, to simply push that button up & down a dz times to wipe those contacts a bit. OR you could take the sw apart and clean & lube it (this has worked for 4 yrs for me) although you have to be able to deal with the little springs, clips, and levers inside. Of course, you can always just buy a new one too :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure ;)

What you're hearing is the turnsignal relay I'd bet. You can verify this by seeing if that noise stops by just pulling down on the lever to start them. If so, here's what happened to me.

The problem initiates in the 4-Way sw at the top of the column that is Very good at collecting dirt & dust because it faces Up. The contacts in there get loaded-up with crud and make poor contact. This causes enough of a current drop that the relay is just barley able to maintain closure of the coil. So, it "Buzzes"...

The fix is sometimes, but often just temporary, to simply push that button up & down a dz times to wipe those contacts a bit. OR you could take the sw apart and clean & lube it (this has worked for 4 yrs for me) although you have to be able to deal with the little springs, clips, and levers inside. Of course, you can always just buy a new one too :D
Thanks for the reply. Can you clarify 4 way SW please. I was thinking it kinda sounded like a relay but have not dug into it yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am thinking you are right. I believe it is some type of electrical issue. It is more of a buzzing noise and it is there with or without the truck being on. Here is a video I took with the key on and engine off. You can hear the buzzing stop when I press on the brake or switch on the turn signal. Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=EbKelGfSZ_g

·
Premium Member
8,487 Posts
The 4Ways are the Hazards, or Emergency Flashers, the red square button you depress behind the steering wheel at the top of the column...

I think this is most likely your problem!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks here is the link to the video again

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure ;)

Thanks for your input. You were exactly right. Changed it out and the sound is gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts