Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a straight pipe on my truck. right when i fired her up it was dumping smoke like crazy but now my gas milage has gone up my gas to empty has gone from 400 miles to 450 mile is that the the engine adjusting to the new air flow?

·
Registered
464 Posts
How much louder is it? I'm debating if I wana straight pipe or get the mbrp exhaust..

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Straight pipe is the way to go. On the 6.0 you full throttle will be quite a bit louder than stock but you will hear a lot more whistle coming from the turbo

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Just put a straight pipe on my truck. right when i fired her up it was dumping smoke like crazy but now my gas milage has gone up my gas to empty has gone from 400 miles to 450 mile is that the the engine adjusting to the new air flow?
Your truck should get a little better gas mpg due to the increased air flow. Not sure about the smoke though

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is alot louder when you drop the hammer and at idle the turbo whistle is way louder straight is the way to go

·
Registered
464 Posts
Which exhaust kit did u buy? Or did u bring it to a shop go have them cut the cat and muffler?0

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had them cut out the cat and the muffler. it sounds like a jet at idle and a race car when you get on it. and gas milage went way up.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Why does it suck

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a gutted kitty and the MBRP muffler on right now but am thinking about doing the straight pipe. Will I be able to tell a difference in the whistle and other things if I do the straight pipe even though the muffler and kitty are already straight through?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes with out a doubt the whistle will be louder and the engine will purr alittle more how did you gut the kitty

·
Registered
586 Posts
I believe he just drilled it out.

·
Registered
586 Posts
With my current exhaust setup with the cat and muffler in place it has curved pieces. My question is can I just get a straight 4 inch pipe to go in the place of the muffler and cat or does it need to be bent? Has anybody done this with just a straight pipe?

·
Registered
425 Posts
straight pipe my truck monday. have a 4" turboback bull dog. dont know if i like the sound it makes at wot. whistle is great at idle. muffler shop that made my pipe said they couldnt do that for a stock exhaust. i guess because of the bends

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sound sucks IMO on a 6.0 without a muffler
+1 just my opinion. I liked the extra whistle but didn't like how it sounded at WOT.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think you both are the first I have heard that didn't like the straight pipe on the 6.0. I know for a fact I wouldn't do straight pipes on a gas truck so thats kind of holding me back from putting it on my 6.0. I know a gas truck and diesel truck are different but all the straight pipe gas trucks I have heard didn't sound that great just alot of crack-a-lackin coming from the tail pipe.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Look in my sig I have three videos you can hear my MBRP no cat or muffler..

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think you both are the first I have heard that didn't like the straight pipe on the 6.0. I know for a fact I wouldn't do straight pipes on a gas truck so thats kind of holding me back from putting it on my 6.0. I know a gas truck and diesel truck are different but all the straight pipe gas trucks I have heard didn't sound that great just alot of crack-a-lackin coming from the tail pipe.
That's what the 6.0 sounds like at WOT, it's got raspy popping sound to it. Didn't really care for it that much. So I just put the straight through muffler back on and it took care of it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Which exhaust kit did u buy? Or did u bring it to a shop go have them cut the cat and muffler?0
I bought a 5" straight pipe from farm boy diesel. Great fit and no issues with install or pipe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts