Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

STOP SAFELY NOW

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  tlb017 
#1 ·
This is my 4th time on recker
Has anyone else have this problem???????????????
$ different shops and everyone has there thumb up there :icon_ford:
It shuts down and no restart for 4-5 days later
Is it time for lemon law

#2 ·
get a lawyer, ford is a **** sucker about this

#3 ·
take it to a different dealership.

#6 ·
My 08' PSD broke down for 1 HOUR yesterday! The diplay showed Stop Safely Now! I have the Edge with Attitude 70hp chip installed (on level 1)and it showed regen was on and the EGTs were more than 1350f. I called the dealer with the code that it gave me. They said that it showed EGTs of more than 1500f and that it will not start for 1 hour. Later when the truck restarted the EGTs would stay very high. I would have to give it throttle and then let off, so it would cool down. When regen quit, No Problem.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Stop Safely Now

This has happened to me twice now. The first time I was driving down the freeway and the "stop safely now" showed up and gave me about 20 seconds before shutting off while I was moving at 40mph. I was lucky enough to be right near the Ford dealer that I would use anyway and coasted right into their lot. It took 2 weeks to fix. After replacing an EGR sensor, an injector, and finally they told me the Ford Hotline told them it was a computer software fix that was needed. It took them 2 weeks to do all this. It lasted for about 1-1/2 months before it just happened again. This time I was heading home from the store at night with my to small kids, and of course I left my cell phone at home. It died the same exact way about 1-1/2 miles from my house. We had to walk home. It is now at the same dealer and they told me they are going to replace an EGR sensor near the exhaust, and put on some kind of recording device and road test for 40 miles. So much for the software fix. My problem is that the last time it happened, I was heading down a hill, and the power brakes and steering was gone once the engine died. What if, for instance, I was pulling my 34ft 12,000lb fifth wheel down the mountains from Lake Tahoe and this happened? No power brakes or steering? Seems really dangerous and I really don't want to get into that situation. The problem is that it COULD happen. That really sucks. I'm contacting our Lawyer and trying to find out what my options are. What I want is my money back. A real bummer.:dunno:

#9 ·
3rd time now

Well, it's happened a third time now. The dealer said it was my aftermarket dry aircleaner/filter I have on it. It's been on for a year, so why is this the problem now? I picked it up today, and the dealer told me they think it seems to happen every 2000 miles or so. So they want me to drive it for 1900 miles and then bring it back in so they can road test the last 100 miles. What kind of crap is that. I now have a Lemon Law Lawer involved, and they have all my service records and purchase contract. We'll see how it goes. To me, it's too unsafe to drive, so I actually had it towed from the dealer to my house.
Real bummer. I'll update my progress.:crazy:

#10 ·
I will tell you that with the aftermarket airfilter ford will not warranty your exhaust if they determine it is that. I was told when mine shut down (same thing went into regen and was told to stop truck safely, this was before any tuner) it was due to the extra air being allowed into the engine (or so the service tec was told on the phone) by my cold air intake.

So ford wanted me to pay them to replace the dpf/MAFS, since I told them I wouldnt pay that I was flagged in Oasis for no warranty work for my intake or exhaust.

So keep that in mind, if they fly a tech in and he sees that air filter they will likely blame it on that and it is on your dime them.

I hope you get it worked out

#11 ·
Stop Safely Now

I just got it back from the dealer last week, and the MAFS sensor checked out fine. They really did nothing to fix or reassure me it wouldn't happen again. Since this was the third time it did it, and it happened about 1900-2100 miles apart, they told me to drive it for 1900 miles, and they would road test it for the next 100-200 miles. That's not much of a repair. So in the mean time, it could happen again. I ended up towing it home from the dealer and am now waiting for the Lemon Law Lawer to contact me. Wish me luck.:dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.