Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this may be somewhat of a pointless thread since I know what most of the answers will be. But I want to know if you guys with chips, especially TW, DP, etc., noticed a significant difference when you got the chip. Mostly a throw you back in your seat difference. Some background info: my truck is an early 99 with intake, exhaust, 10k mod, and according to the previous owner a "built tranny". I have a friend with an 00 with intake, exhaust, suncoast tranny, and a 140hp chip. When I ride in his truck I don't notice much of a difference at all in the feel compared to my truck. Neither of us have run our trucks to get times or anything and we haven't raced eachother, but when I ride in his truck I am fairly disappointed. I guess I am just asking for some reassurance since I am planning on buying my chip this week. And it's got me thinking a bit so I'm going to go out and make sure the PCM doesn't have a chip sitting in it.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
simple answer is YES!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I figured, like I said probably a pointless thread.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
So this may be somewhat of a pointless thread since I know what most of the answers will be. But I want to know if you guys with chips, especially TW, DP, etc., noticed a significant difference when you got the chip. Mostly a throw you back in your seat difference.[highlight]A huge difference from stock[/highlight] Some background info: my truck is an early 99 with intake, exhaust, 10k mod, and according to the previous owner a "built tranny". I have a friend with an 00 with intake, exhaust, suncoast tranny, and a 140hp chip.[highlight]What kind of chip/programmer?[/highlight] When I ride in his truck I don't notice much of a difference at all in the feel compared to my truck. [highlight]Are you sure he's on the highest setting?[/highlight] Neither of us have run our trucks to get times or anything and we haven't raced eachother, but when I ride in his truck I am fairly disappointed. I guess I am just asking for some reassurance since I am planning on buying my chip this week. And it's got me thinking a bit so I'm going to go out and make sure the PCM doesn't have a chip sitting in it.[highlight]This is exactly what I was thinking when I read this. If you don't notice a difference, then your truck is probably already chipped, or it has been programmed, and not returned to stock before the previous owner sold it. Do you know the previous owner? This is what happened to me, I met the old owner and got the evolution from him. If not you should have the pcm reflashed, and go from there.[/highlight]
Let us know what you find in your PCM

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
The more I think about it, gauges would help you to know if you are stock or not.

Also if you can 0-60 in like 11 sec. or less then you're chipped

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I'm gonna check the PCM tomorrow. The truck I rode in has a Diesel Innovations chip and I'm pretty sure he was on the highest setting. I couldn't tell since it just has the turn dial know but he said he was, and it smoked like it was. Which is the other thing, mine didn't smoke much before the 10k mod and now it does a little bit, which is making me think there is no chip. I know the previous owner and he did have a chip on previously that he took off and put on his wifes truck. He said it was a "Power Chip" which I have never heard of but that is what he said it was called. But I'm guessing since it worked on his wifes truck that mine was put back to stock.

Now you have me wanting to go run 0-60 at 3am. And I'm guessing that 11 sec 0-60 is not 4wd launching?

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
No that's just a balpark guideline. 2wd from any traffic light. That's what someone told me to check when I bought my truck and I thought it was chipped. Turned out it was.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I tried selling my truck back in december and I put it back to stock tuning and ive only driven it a couple times since then and man what a gutless pig!!! I retuned mine today and WOW! what a difrence! I almost like my truck again. :lol:

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
I don't see it i your sig, do you have gauges? That would also help you, youknow to see what kind of boost you're getting. Should be about 17 stock IIRC.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no gauges but I also unhooked the red vacuum line off the wastegate so it might be higher than that

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
You should do under 10 sec with a chip easy, without a 4x4 launch.

The AFE 1 doesn't flow very good so upgrade that to a #2 or better yet a Donaldson filter.

Check your turbo wheel...every other fin should be shorter and the edges un damanged if not get a WW

Tony's chip will wake up that engine and should give you 2mpg.

I'd get some gauges before any other mod.

Cary

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Every other vane is shorter on the ww, they are all the same size on the 99.5-03 stock wheel.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah mines an early 99 so they alternate. Didn't get a chance to look at the PCM today but will tomorrow

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Did you get a 0-60 run?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just did a couple 0-60 runs and ranged from 11.1 (pretty flat) to 11.4 (a little up hill)
did the best I could looking at the PCM and didn't see anything.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
HMMMM.....:shrug:

I would get the chip, i think you will notice a huge difference based on what you've got. There may have been something wrong with your buddies chip to not notice a difference between yours and his. If I remember tonight, I'll hook up my evolution to record a couple of 0-60 times with my DP tuner stock and 140 for ya. :thumb:

That should give you a little better idea...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool thanks southpaw

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
def. go with a tony wildman just installed mine yesterday and man its a hell of a diff. and i smokes like a choo-choo

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Well eith my setup, and my daily driving around weight these days is about 8000lbs.

stock=12.8
80hp=8.7
120hp8.5 broke the wheels loose in 1st and 2nd
140hp=8.5 spun wheels on take off.

all were 2wd
and I know they all don't make sense, but it was only 1 run of each on different peices of road. Just did it to give you some ballpark idea...

hope it helps

·
COLLEGE KID
3,226 Posts
all these guys with custom tunes love it. Its almost like they are cheating. From what I read there is no point in wasting your money on the canned tunes like the banks 6 gun and bullydog.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts