Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a 5" downpipe back diamond eye exhaust with use the standard tip it came with. I've heard more and more about DPS officers looking for diesels with deleted emision equipment so I want to fly far under the radar and I'm not a big fan of the "hey look at me" stuff. I was thinking of putting the stock dual tip back on but there is a huge size difference now 5" now and 3-1/2" factory.

I'm assuming a reducer like that will choke the exhaust pretty good and detune it some, correct? If so, has anyone seen a oversized stock looking tip, maybe a exact replica but in a 4 or 5" size?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would think if you reduced it down to stock that it would just be a change in exhaust sound. I don't think it would affect performance any

·
Registered
257 Posts
My brothers a pretty good welder, he said he'll be able to replicate the stock tail pipe in 5" pipe when I put in my 5" exhaust. We'll have to see how it turns out...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
amb82 - thats what I figure but I like the new sound of the truck and dont want to mess with it too much?

NVHunter83 - that would be awesome! I'd really like the look of a stock tip that has increased in size to match a 5" exhaust. Post pics if you do this!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have the stock exhaust with the stock size delete pipe. It has a hair dryer type sound from the exhaust. From what I hear 5" cuts out the hair dryer sound

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have the stock exhaust with the stock size delete pipe. It has a hair dryer type sound from the exhaust. From what I hear 5" cuts out the hair dryer sound
It cuts down some but not all of it. The "hair dryer" sound is coming from the turbos and unless you change turbos to a single, you are not going to get rid of it. You can put a resonator or muffler on but it will cut down on the hair dryer sound and overall deep tone too

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may look at get a custom exhaust shop to just make me a scaled up version of one. I'll try to talk to a few people and see what pricing they come up with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have not gotten my exhaust yet, but when I do I love the idea of a 5" stock looking tip, hope to see some pictures on here!

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
DPS officers?

·
Registered
585 Posts
What part of my exhaust tip falls within a DPS officers range of job responsibilities? Id tell them to f off and go catch a shop lifter or illegal mexican.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What part of my exhaust tip falls within a DPS officers range of job responsibilities? Id tell them to f off and go catch a shop lifter or illegal mexican.
I feel the exact same way! BUT it's not the tips that are the issue, it's the DPF and Cat delete. Having a full aftermarket exhaust with DPF and Cat delete is a federal offence for tampering with required emissions equipment, doesn't matter if the area requires emissions testing or not. Having a non-stock tip is a dead giveaway for a aftermarket exhaust, especially a 5" tip, a 4" not as much of a eye catcher. All a officer has to have is a reason to pull you over, and I've heard of DPS officers pulling diesels over and taking a pic of the exhaust system if somthing is altered.

Once a pic is taken your pretty much S.O.L. in court and will pony up big time. SO, I rather take all the chance out of getting pulled over just to check my exhaust, meaning not give a officer any reason to think it's modded. I figure a stock looking exhaust time would at least help out some.

Like I said, I've heard of some rumors, not saying all this is true or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts