Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
PMR = JUNK
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so its my understanding that the oil pressure and volt gauges are pretty much equivalent to idiot lights, either on or off, no actual fluctuation with changing pressure/volts. I'm almost certain the volt one is a fake if you wanna call it that because my alternator was going out and the gauge still showed right in the middle of the "normal" range. My question is, is there anyway to make these gauges functional, or is there an after market cluster you can buy that has functional gages in it? Or will i just be forced to buy separate gauges and have them mounted on the pillar or above the mirror?

·
PMR = JUNK
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:bump:Somebody?

·
PMR = JUNK
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more :bump: before i go to bed.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm reviving this because noone answered last time. And i still wanna know.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Common, I'm not gonna let this die.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm curious about this too. Here's another bump.

Chris

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
my volt gauge works fine. when my alt was dying the gauge went down as the truck was running off batterys. and when the gauge hit zero i lost all electric power.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my volt gauge works fine. when my alt was dying the gauge went down as the truck was running off batterys. and when the gauge hit zero i lost all electric power.
Mine showed right in the middle of "normal" until it got so bad that everything electrical quit. It was at night and my lights died, along with every other electrical thing, but somehow my fuel pump was still going because the truck itself didn't die.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone else have any ideas?

·
PMR = JUNK
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Am I the first person to ask an unanswerable question?

·
PMR = JUNK
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why is no one responding?

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
here is a pic of how i mounted my 3 gauges. As far as the loss of electrical power, i'm not too sure.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
My volt gauge works fine, I can see it jump up a little when the glow plugs turn off and when my alt went out I noticed the gauge was low and watched it slowly drop down until I had almost no power left as I barely made it home.

As for the oil pressure, I just added a 4 gauge pod above the mirror for it and oil temp and tranny cooler temp and fuel pressure.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As for the oil pressure, I just added a 4 gauge pod above the mirror for it and oil temp and tranny cooler temp and fuel pressure.
Thats what im trying to avoid though, i don't really want redundant gauges. Id like to just make the ones that are already there work they way they should.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Thats what im trying to avoid though, i don't really want redundant gauges. Id like to just make the ones that are already there work they way they should.
I’m more of the mindset that the more gauges I can have the better I can watch things and prevent failures or troubleshoot problems. I kinda like having a real oil pressure gauge and the factory idiot light one with the senders in two different places and separate circuits. It is probably possible to get the factory gauge to work right but I’m not sure it would be worth the effort.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is probably possible to get the factory gauge to work right but I’m not sure it would be worth the effort.
Do you know what all it would take? That way i could decide if i think its worth it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
you could always look into a electric oil psi sending unit, like a autometer or something like that. Hook it up and see what happens and compare its readings to a mechanical gauge hooked up for validation purposes. I have no clue if that would work or not, I'm not sure if the factory dash gauge will function with a different sender. That would probably be the cheapest way but who knows if it will work. I've never used anything other than a mechanical oil psi gauges.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know one bat runs the electricle BS and the other runs the essential Motor functions...Fuel PCM. I know this because I made it about 10 milesafter the electics quit before the fuel pump shut off and the truck died. My radio has a volt meter built in. Go buy a quality Pioneer Head unit and you'll have a redundant gauge that know one can see unless you want to.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I admit I aint never messed with the 6.0 so I cant say anything about it for sure but every diesel I ever saw with two batteries had them both wired together in parallel so both batteries supply 12v power to everything with double the amp capacity for starting, except the series wired 24 volt systems like the John Deere 4010 or 4020 we have. So I doubt one battery runs the electrical BS and the other runs motor functions. If that is the way the 6.0 works then it is definitely different than the 7.3.
As for an extra and accurate volt gauge I like the one in my Prodigy P3 brake controller.
I would like to know if anyone has figured out how to make the factory oil pressure gauge work, that would be a nice mod.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts