Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought my truck a year ago, and my friend bought the same one 1 week later. I got to drive his truck and man his brakes are touchy. In my 07, when i come to a stop i typically have to mash the pedal a bit. I asked my service dealer about it and he said it was normal, but after driving my friends truck I have decided the brakes suck on mine. There shouldnt be that much of a difference in 2 of the same vehicles. Is ther eanything I can check or should I take it to the dealership to have them look into it? I like the feel of stopping faster and more or less its a safety thing. Thanks all for the help!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
My suck too. It is normal. When you say y'all have the same truck, Your friend has a diesel to correct, Not a gasser?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mine stops just fine even with a full load running 37's. Is your power steering week as well? The brake booster and the power sterring both run off of the power steeering pump.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Nope Steering is fine on mine. All my trucks have stopped crappy.

Not trying to :hijack: It's just normal to me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only difference in my friends is he has an XLT, and I have the Lariat. Both diesels, Power steering works great, I have checked the hoses and nothing leaking or anything even looking odd. I just dont like the idea of using that much force on the pedal to stop this truck, especially after driving my friends

·
Registered
100 Posts
My dads 07 is very touchy, you don't have to really push down that hard. Mine is all mushy :dunno: Maybe towing heavy trailers and a few burnouts might have something to do with it :D

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Though mine is an '06 the brakes are just fine. They're not "overly" touchy but you don't have to mash the pedal either. The truck stops nice and smooth with what feels like a normal push of the brake pedal. Now my wifes Jeep CRD has pretty touchy brakes in comparison. I mean you have to pay attention to how hard you are pressing the pedal or you'll have somebody in the cargo bay.

Ken....

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
I know that this won't help much, but sometimes my will stop great and other times I have to put a little more leg into it. I did notic that this weekend I was pulling my 24ft boat and had to make a sudden stop so I didn't run over some little ricer, and since then they feel better.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont do burnouts or anything, however I have noticed when I slam on the brakes hard, they tighten up a bit, then go back to mushy. I suppose I will go to the dealership at some point, I would hate to cause an accident because of this, not that it would, but you just never know, knock on wood

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
do you do alot of city driving because they could just be getting hot .....and have you checked the pads do they have some life on them .......and the only other thing i can think of is bleeding your breaks make sure there is no air in the lines .........but other than that i dont know

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do some city driving, truck has 19k miles on it, i am going to take it in and have someone professionally look at it. thanks again everyone for the help!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts