Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any benefit to keeping the stock air filter, but replacing the plumbing after the filter but pre turbo???? Does anyone actually make aftermarket plumbing for that???

·
Registered
151 Posts
Unlikely to gain anything. If you make one out of metal it will only absorb the heat and raise intake temps

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unlikely to gain anything. If you make one out of metal it will only absorb the heat and raise intake temps
Aren't intake temps higher (even with intercooling) than engine bay temps though?

·
Registered
151 Posts
your pre turbo intake temps should be less than underhood temps if you are pulling air from a fender well (common on 5.9s) or from the grill (6.0). However, metal piping will "soak" the heat in, if you will. Think of a metal pipe and pvc pipe laying in the sun all day. Same concept in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
As said above, it's probably not worth it. If it was worth it I'm sure the kits would be all over the aftermarket. If your thinking about an intake upgrade I would stick with S&B. stay away from K&N, they do not have sufficient filtration for a diesel engine :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to keep the stock filter since my only planned mods are a programmer and exhaust

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bet your looking to get rid of the overall PITA to remove and install the stock intake when working on the truck. Believe me, I'm wanting to do the same, just dont have the cash to boot for a new intake system.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a pain at first, but i can get the whole thing off in about 5 min now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts