Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are some good starting mods to get for a stock 7.3 its a standard cab long bed. i was thinkn exaust chip and intake? new to diesels so help.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
We gonna need lots more info, like year, and your goals and your budget.

The standard is to get GAUGES, straight pipe the exhaust, do a DIY open air intake, and then put a good custom flip chip on it. This will make a night and day difference to a stock truck and should cost less than $1000 to do.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
So if its a 94 is it a 7.3 or a 7.3 powerstroke and why is this post in the 99-03 section?

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yea im sorry its a 00. i have a 94 bronco i was guna put a 7.3 into, and it has superduty axles
i have about no more than a grand to put into seats cause there broke down and then performance parts. i tow a little but i am gettn it cause i love diesels and wana compete a little with my buddys cummins

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Manual or auto?
(May be a good time to take the time to complete your signature)

IF your buddies Cummins is stock then doing the above mods for about a grand may allow you to compete with him. If he has the right dodge mods done then your ganna have to spend a lot more than that to even begin to compete.

Gauges and chip ~$800 Stealth Automotive. Tony Wildman Chip/ Gauge Combo
DIY intake ~$40
Straight piping the exhaust ~$50
That leaves about $100 to fix the seats.

There are lots more things you can do for relatively cheap to make your truck a happy truck but when the mod bug bites you then you’ll be spending big on things like injectors and turbos and big oil and a built tranny. Then the dodge may still beat you.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well its an auto sry. he claims a 5.34 second 0-60 outa his truck but i dont buy it. would a guage pillar pod be good? what about an edge chip?

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i keep hearing about tw chips, and i was just reading on them so i think if i can afford it i might get one of those.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when they say on the fly can u just turn it while driveing down the eway?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Yes, flip chips you can change while driving.

Get some gauges, then an exhaust intake.... then Chip...

DO NOT DO THE CHIP FIRST.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im not tryn to argue since im new just tryn to understand but why not chip first?

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Chip first means you aint got no gauges to watch which can lead to blown motor and/or turbo and/or tranny which can lead to around $15,000 in parts.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
o lovely. roughly whats a rebuilt trans run? like 2 grand

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
o great. wow well i guess if thats what ya gota do

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
IF it were me and I was starting over with a stock truck I’d first make the truck happy.
DIY intake with a Baldwin PA2818 $40
Straight pipe the exhaust $50
Gauges (at least the big 3) $300
Trucool 40K tranny cooler in series with stock one $120
Fuel tank and prepump filter and FPR mods $35
CCV mod $5
Then maybe a BTS tranny valve body for $250

Then I’d make me happy with a custom tuned Tony Wildman chip for about $400 and maybe add a $1 4.7v Zener to the map sensor to prevent overboost defueling.

So if it were me it would take about $1,200 to get me in the happy place again.

That’s the cool thing about modding a PSD, it’s okay to be different and do anything you want, just be sure you understand the consequences.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
well i definetly cant afford to kill it and my cottage is surrounded by sand and dust so ii think the filter will be first

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i was lookin for the filter where do ya get em just any autoparts place?

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I went to Baldwin Filters website and put in my zip code for a dealer list then called around, best price in my area was $36 at a local parrts store 3 miles from the house. Lots of folks by the NAPA brand and some folks get them at big truck shops or tractor shops.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok sweet got a few of them around here

1 - 20 of 22 Posts