Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking to getting into my first diesel truck. I am planing on on with a 1997 F350 has 220k 5 speed manual tuner aftermarket exhaust & a lift. But I am wondering if it is worth it to get a 20 years old truck? Are there any complaints any one has about these trucks?
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
My only complaint is i'd like a new truck but my 7.3 just won't die. Been 9yrs now and after the up front maintenance overhall then you're good.

·
Hate stupid people
8,681 Posts
no issues with any new diesel, except price tag of $50,000+

for someone new to diesels, I'd buy the newest one you can afford.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought a 97 F350 CCLB with 220k last year. 5 speed manual. I LOVE IT!!!

It’s all about condition and how well the people before you cared for it. Mine was bought from the original owner and he took great care of it.

Now the downside:
20+yr old plastic can be very brittle. Dash and door panels have to be treated with care if you remove them.

Parts, other than mechanical ones, can sometimes be difficult to find. If you do find them they may be used or very expensive. A possible solution is to look for the part you need in a junk yard but it may still be difficult to obtain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
At 220k, the dual mass flywheel should've already been changed so you're good there. The injectors have probably been done too. So if it's in good shape I don't see why not. I personally love the look of the OBS. If I could, I wouldn't mind going back to one. I have an 05 f350 lariat now.

If you do go newer, stay away from the 6.4 like the plague

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought mine last year, but you should consider all the variables. I personally wanted a "cheap" truck and a diesel that wouldn't be too tough to work on with readily available parts that is smog free in CA. I also love the look of the OBS. I also wanted a crew cab for my family of 6. The condition of the truck is another major variable.

I love mine, but I discovered a couple things about it.

It's 20 years old or more. A lot can and will go wrong 😉 All repairable and parts are easy to find.

However, interior parts or non mechanical parts are a pain to find or can't be found at all. You might have to get creative or live with it.

Also, if you get it cheap enough, it's likely close to stock. Without the upgrades, it's a bit of a dog on the freeway. With upgrades, people don't want to let them go and over price them.

I'm learning as I go and so far so good. If you have a little more, a bulletproofed 6.0 is another option. My cousin is a diesel mechanic and says that's cheaper horsepower.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
The gas versus diesel price spread around here doesn't make a diesel worthwhile as the fuel savings is non-existent. Once my 7.3s die I'll probably get a gasser.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I bought my first 7.3 four years ago. A 96 crewcab long wheel base. It had 224k and ran ok. I started using stiction eliminator on it and it's running great. It's had a few problems with accessories wearing out but that's normal maintenance. I just put a new vacuum pump on it this week. The thing is, get a standard trans. If it still has the dual mass flywheel, change it. I'm now at 333k and still going strong. Last year I bought a 2002 7.3 crew cab 6 speed dually and am rebuilding the dusted engine. It's getting a 450-480 hp build for pulling. I personally don't want a newer truck. Everyone else has them, I'll stay with something that's 40k cheaper and just as nice. And much much easier to work on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Hate stupid people
8,681 Posts
2002 7.3 crew cab 6 speed dually and am rebuilding the dusted engine. It's getting a 450-480 hp build for pulling. I personally don't want a newer truck. Everyone else has them, I'll stay with something that's 40k cheaper and just as nice. And much much easier to work on.

Pulling for work or pulling sled?
being as you have a PMR motor that your rebuilding, I hope for the HP range you atleast toss in some forge rods in

·
Registered
377 Posts
Pulling for work or pulling sled?

being as you have a PMR motor that your rebuilding, I hope for the HP range you atleast toss in some forge rods in
Pulling for work. Its getting rebalanced with obs forged rods, arp rod bolts, arp main and head studs, 910 valve springs, stage 3 pushrods, 205/30 injectors, T4 turbo, south Bend clutch, pakbrake exhaust brake, custom intake, and a whole list of oem replacements. Basically building for additional power and reliability. Full regulated return, 60 gal replacement tank with 60 in bed tank, etc, etc....

·
Hate stupid people
8,681 Posts
why such a large hybrid/small nozzle for a truck that will be used for towing and probably tow in a towing file? why not a 160/30 Injector?
which turbo?
whose doing your custom tunes?

·
Registered
377 Posts
The combination of 205/30 with the T4 combined with the sx364.5 seems to be a sweet spot for the 7.3 with a single fuel pump. The large capacity injector is able to deliver a full large fuel load without any smoke due to the 30% nozzle. I'm not after all that show off crap like smoke and "coal", just power to pull. I'm using an adrenaline hpop to drive the injectors. She's tuned with Jillibuilt tunes.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'll be happy to get pics. I'm documeting the build so I've got plenty. I'm even building a note book with the blue printing data so I can build another 7.3 for my 96.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.