Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I am hoping somebody is out there who has had this problem. Working on a F350 7.3 for a friend. Cranks but won't start. cps has been changed by dealer 4 weeks ago but that didn't help. Changed fuel pump on rail because weak pressure, still no start. Tested high pressure pump have the 3000 psi required. Have no smoke and no fuel order at tailpipe. Believe injectors not firing. Tested and ohmed out harness under valve cover - tested good. Today listed problem earlier and somebody referenced gpcm. Checked ohms across relay coil only got 2.8 ohms manual says should be between 5-15. Also noticed today that the glow plug relay does not cycle on and off like manual says it should, just stays on. So here's my question would the low ohms cause the no start problem or is it due to a bad PCM?:dunno:

I am new on here, but what I read on saturday, it seems like a lot of knowledgeable people out there. Hoping one of you has had this problem, or point me in the right direction. Getting frustrated:(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've scanned it and no codes come up. When my friend had it at the dealership they scanned it and must have erased them. The codes they told him showed up are: P0471 P0500 P0705 P0732 P0733 and P1670. I changed the trans range sensor (P0705) but still just cranks, no start. Also found the tube to the EBP sensor to be rotted thru and replaced it, but I don't believe that would cause the not start and I was right. Any other thoughts?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Are you batteries fully charged or run down from trying to start after the fuel pump change?

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
the wait to start light will not cycle , that was pre powerstroke stuff there , what is icp pressure when cranking , you said you checked the pump , and it had 3000 , how did you check it , with both lines un hooked deadheading the pump

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
side note: just noticed you are a Desert Shield/Storm Vet. Would like to thank you for your service and if I could I'd shake your hand. I greatly apprieciate all the men and women who served/seving our great country.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Thanks Workhorse! This is a great country we all should be proud:thumb: Listen to Scuffy he will get you moving in the right direction!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the wait to start light does come on and then go off, but the glow plug relay does not cycle on and off. The pressure test I took was first at the oil pressure sensor port, then I disconnected one line and took the pressure again. Other line was still connected to the other head.

·
Registered
116 Posts
P1670 huh. Check your IDM relay (swap with a known good one like the A/C blower motot next to it). If nogo, I bet you have a faulty IDM or Injector Driver Module. That's the aluminium box bolted to the inside of the left fender behind the fron wheel. Possibly full of water or just crapped the bed on ya.

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
leave evrything connected lines to heads and all , monitor icp pressure while cranking , i would want to run a injector buzz test just to make sure all electrical to injectors were ok, but generally if the idm is bad it will have p1293 or p1294 in system

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the IDM just inside the cab drivers side under dash board? because there is nothing under the inner fender well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
leave evrything connected lines to heads and all , monitor icp pressure while cranking , i would want to run a injector buzz test just to make sure all electrical to injectors were ok, but generally if the idm is bad it will have p1293 or p1294 in system
Not if it can't power up or has an internal short

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is the IDM just inside the cab drivers side under dash board? because there is nothing under the inner fender well.
No. Remove the plastic splash well (inner fender well) and between the front wheel and the drivers door if you look up towards the top of the fender you will see it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did one other test saturday in which high pressure lines were hooked up, had valve cover off one side, had an injector unpluged with a volt meter attached to the two wires (protected so no shorts were possible, cranked over and got no voltage. Did same test to other 3 sensors same thing no voltage to the injectors.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
on my truck, i thought it was the IDM, but it just tripped a code for it, and once cleared it fired right up and never looked back

1 - 20 of 37 Posts