Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I have a 2000 f350 auto 4x4. You guys have probably heard this before but my steering is impossible to turn when at a stop but while driving its nice and light. What could it be. the local dealer tells me its a vacume pump but how can that be. aswell as I have a slight puff of blue on start up? (injector seals?)
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
I need some help. I have a 2000 f350 auto 4x4. You guys have probably heard this before but my steering is impossible to turn when at a stop but while driving its nice and light. What could it be. the local dealer tells me its a vacume pump but how can that be. aswell as I have a slight puff of blue on start up? (injector seals?)
Any help would be appreciated.
Is it only like that when your foot is on the brake? Does it turn fairly easy when at idle and foot is off the brake?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re steering problems

Sorry I forgot to mention that all the front end ball joints are done aswell as axle shaft u-joints are new

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
The pump itself could be getting weak. The vacuum pump has notjing to do with the steering. These trucks do steer harder when sitting still just because of the way the knuckles sit in relation to the ball joints. Just check the fluid level and make sure the p/s pump isn't making noise. Did it just start doing this recently?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
steering

No its been doing it for about a year now but its getting worse. I thought that it was just because it is a 1 ton. But I've heard the same complaint from other people that have the same truck. I'm not sure as to why the dealer said its the vacume pump unless he is guessing. As for the pump being noisy it's not and hasn't been since day one.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
What you are describing sounds pretty normal. Don't know if you wanted to hear that. I know on mine and any other super duty I have driven has been hard to turn when at idle and almost impossible if the brakes are applied. I worked at a Ford dealership and we had a lot of people come in and complain about that. They swore up and down there was something wrong until I took them out on the lot and let them see what a brand new truck did. I really don't think you have a major problem. The only things that can cause this is the p/s pump and the gear box itself considering everything else is new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
steering

Ok cool. One other thing though maybe you know I have what seems to be oil on the front edge of the intake and boost pipes but I cant tell where its coming from any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Ok cool. One other thing though maybe you know I have what seems to be oil on the front edge of the intake and boost pipes but I cant tell where its coming from any suggestions?
Are you talking about the intercooler pipes? Some oil in the pipes is normal unless you do the CCV mod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts