Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have upgraded my speakers to Alpine Type S's and want to get a better sound out of them. I found this aftermarket "factory look" nav unit. The problem I have is I would like to keep the factory DVD player functional. I have been researching this and the only way I see it able to stay working is with a "DVD Keeper" does anyone know anything about this product? DVD Keeper For RSE Equipped CAN-BUS Ford / Lincoln / Mercury 2006-2007 Vehicles

Sorry I misspelled stereo

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think all you need is an aftermarket head unit. Pioneer makes the best ones out right now. That will help your speakers allot. But if you really want them to sound amazing you'll want to put an amp on them.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im bringing this back up because my CD player is on the fritz. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is your factory DVD player an overhead one for the back seat? Or in the dash?

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
overhead for the back seat

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you check the check of your stereo there should be either a single factory looking plug or RCA jacks. Without knowing that I can't really help you out.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is can/bus not RCA

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok then you will have to get an adaptor like you had linked before. Then get an aftermarket head unit (I prefer Pioneer). The only problem is that the one you linked above is not for an F-series truck. I recommend you go to a local car audio and video shop and they should have all the wiring harnesses you will need. I would recommend you not to buy a stereo from them and have them install it because they will rip you off. But if you get all the right harnesses from them it will be as simple as plug and play. As far as buying a head unit I recommend Craigslist. The car audio on there is usually about half price and basically brand new, you just have to find you a good deal.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well there is a factory look alike on ebay for like $600. I really wanted that one and I would be plug and play if I didn't have the factory DVD system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you get the right adaptor from a car audio and video store it will still be plug and play. But as far as the head unit that is strictly up to personal preference. But do you think you could put a link of it on here? I would like to know what it looks like.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My suggestion, if you want to keep the factory look and all the function would be to get an OEM unit, you should be able to find one way cheaper then MSRP, even pull one out of a wrecked truck.

Then depending on your budget, get a digital sound processor for better sound, some have built in amps, and that will give you the best sound without changing any factory functions.

The most recommended DSP is the JBL MS-8, you can get it on Amazon for <$500 right now, it was on sale a few weeks ago for $400, so if you keep an eye on the price it may drop down to $400 for Christmas again. It has a mostly auto-tuning feature, it uses a headset with microphones built in to measure the sound response in your truck and then tune your system accordingly so you don't have to know much about tuning for this thing to do its job.

Please do link that factory looking deck you were talking about, I would be careful about knockoffs, but who knows, maybe it's the same as OEM (in which case you probably wont notice any difference in SQ).

Your biggest change in sound quality will be the ability to EQ/Tune your system, power only adds volume. If that factory looking nav unit has more tuning control then the stock one and the quality is good it may be your best bet.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have sync and don't need it and he said steering wheel controls work with it with nothing extra needed

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sent them an email and they said they have installed this into ford vehicles with factory DVD's and they have worked but they have not tried it in an f250 before so he couldnt guaranty it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Edit: I just looked more closely at that ebay ad for the Windows CE one, it actually looks like a pretty nice product. Might be worth a shot if your tired of the OEM one, if you do get one, post up a review for us. Also in the seller reviews, every seems to like them and confirms they are a direct plug and play (there was a review from some one with an Expedition on there)

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I wanted better sound. I put in some alpine speakers. Someone started a thread on here a while back about this exact head unit and they loved it. I just don't know how to make the DVD system work.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well I wanted better sound. I put in some alpine speakers. Someone started a thread on here a while back about this exact head unit and they loved it. I just don't know how to make the DVD system work.
Well I doubt you will get much of a sound quality difference unless it has some kind of built in EQ. Basically it comes down to getting either this, an aftermarket deck (compatible with steering wheel controls with an adapter), or a DSP.

Guaranteed you will get the best sound quality with a DSP, however it takes a little more work to install one, but it is fairly easy.

Your second best option for better SQ is an aftermarket nav unit from one of the bigger manufacturers (Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, Clarion, etc.) that includes an EQ.

As for the stock DVD player, that adapter that you posted may work for your F250, but this one actually says it will Amazon.com: Axxess Interface AFDI-RSE-01 Wiring Harness for 2007-09 Ford Edge / 2007-08 Expedition / 2006-08 Explorer: Car Electronics

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There were several people on here that said the sound quality was great so I really want to try it. I'm not really picky on sound quality.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts