Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was having the beginnings of the old death wobble. Fixed it with stabilizers and shocks. The before and after video at the end is interesting:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Was having the beginnings of the old death wobble. Fixed it with stabilizers and shocks. The before and after video at the end is interesting:

‪Installing Rancho Steering Stabilizers & RS9000XL Shocks Ford Super Duty‬‏ - YouTube
Great Video! I allways wanted to see the front end in action. My truck does the same thing with 35's Do you think that is was the duel stabilizers or the combination of the new stabilizer and the diffrent valving on the Ranchos.. By looking at your video it looks like the wheel dosent bounce upward as much as it did with the stock shocks. The ranchos looked like they had better rebound than your previous units. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great Video! I allways wanted to see the front end in action. My truck does the same thing with 35's Do you think that is was the duel stabilizers or the combination of the new stabilizer and the diffrent valving on the Ranchos.. By looking at your video it looks like the wheel dosent bounce upward as much as it did with the stock shocks. The ranchos looked like they had better rebound than your previous units. Your thoughts?
Yeah, I think it was a combination of shock and dampener that fixed the problem. The stock shocks have been spec'd too lightly for my taste especially with my larger tires. With the new Rancho's, the tire just won't fall into the pot hole and therefore bounce back up like the OEM shocks. The stabilizer adds just a little resistance to the steering feel so it's not as loosey feeling as before either. I felt like the OEM steering is over-assisted to begin with. All around it's a big improvement.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
GREAT video of before and after. Those GOPRO cameras are amazing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, I think it was a combination of shock and dampener that fixed the problem. The stock shocks have been spec'd too lightly for my taste especially with my larger tires. With the new Rancho's, the tire just won't fall into the pot hole and therefore bounce back up like the OEM shocks. The stabilizer adds just a little resistance to the steering feel so it's not as loosey feeling as before either. I felt like the OEM steering is over-assisted to begin with. All around it's a big improvement.
I have had Bilstiens on my truck for years and thought that they did a pretty good job of controlling the ride. But latley my front end feels like your before video bouncing all around. I dont a have a GoPro yet but it looks like a great investment. I have raced dirt bikes for years and you have the option of adding a few clicks of compression or rebound to correct the way the suspension is working. Have you had the chance to play with the adjustment yet?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but much of this is new to me, so what exactly do the stabilizers do beyond the wheel wobble? The reason I ask is the steering in my excursion feels loose and floaty. It has a stabilizer in it but would an upgrade like you have help?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but much of this is new to me, so what exactly do the stabilizers do beyond the wheel wobble? The reason I ask is the steering in my excursion feels loose and floaty. It has a stabilizer in it but would an upgrade like you have help?
I would first recommend checking your tri rod ends and ball joints for play. Have some one get in the truck and turn the wheel back and forth to see if you can see any movement in the linkage. Have you adjusted the steering box yet? if not its very easy to do.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would first recommend checking your tri rod ends and ball joints for play. Have some one get in the truck and turn the wheel back and forth to see if you can see any movement in the linkage. Have you adjusted the steering box yet? if not its very easy to do.
I just broght the truck home so no Ihave not done any of that, I was told by the previous owner at least one of the ball joints is recently replaced. The steering box is prob worth a shot to. Do you know if there is a walkthrough on that anywhere?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just broght the truck home so no Have not done any of that, I was told by the previous owner at least one of the ball joints is recently replaced. The steering box is prob worth a shot to. Do you know if there is a walk through on that anywhere?
I'm sure there is but I cant recall where I have seen it. You can do it your self with a jack an a assistant. Look for things that are moving without the tires moving. You are looking for excessive play in the joints.

·
Registered
529 Posts
great video. How much does that rancho system call (basically everything you just bought) I'm running a similiar Rough Country setup, but those steering stabilizers and brackets just seem like they are a better, stronger setup than the ones I'm running. I don't have nearly as bad as a death wobble as you showed..I think my alignment just might be off a smidge, but who knows, the kit I have on might not be as good either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great video. How much does that rancho system call (basically everything you just bought) I'm running a similiar Rough Country setup, but those steering stabilizers and brackets just seem like they are a better, stronger setup than the ones I'm running. I don't have nearly as bad as a death wobble as you showed..I think my alignment just might be off a smidge, but who knows, the kit I have on might not be as good either.
The shocks are about $100 each and the dual stabilizer is $160. I didn't really think my wobble was very bad from inside the truck but the video really showed what was going on. Since I know that my ball joints and track bar are good, I only had to upgrade the shocks and stabilizer. Well worth it in my opinion. I think I saw somewhere that Rancho is running a buy four shocks and get $100 back promotion right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love the video. I'm a newbie and really considering the upgrade on both shocks and stabilizers. Your rig looks stock but I'm not sure. Does it have a level kit or lift? I thought I read somewhere that you need a level kit at a minimum to add a stabilizer kit to the F250.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Great video and I'm glad this cured your problem. My old 2006 F250 had very bad "death wobble" after I installed a Fabtech 8" lift 4-link, 22" wheels, and 37" tires. I purchased a BDS dual steering stabilizer with Bilstein nitrogen shocks/dampeners and the "death wobble" went away permanently and it tightened up my steering.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Shock Install Correction...

Hey epiccowlick. I watched your video and your results prompted me to order the same kit for my truck. I was just going to point out that you incorrectly installed two of the washers onto the mid-axle bracket. The two washers you put under your lock washers on the front of the axle bracket are designed to go on the back of that stud as a "stop" for the inside of the stabilizer bushing. As I said I just installed this kit myself and watched your video again and noticed that. Just letting you know if you have not already realized it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey epiccowlick. I watched your video and your results prompted me to order the same kit for my truck. I was just going to point out that you incorrectly installed two of the washers onto the mid-axle bracket. The two washers you put under your lock washers on the front of the axle bracket are designed to go on the back of that stud as a "stop" for the inside of the stabilizer bushing. As I said I just installed this kit myself and watched your video again and noticed that. Just letting you know if you have not already realized it.
Thanks for the tip and I can see that I did install the washer wrong. Looks like I need to slide under the truck today!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Following the instruction and watching the video I was able to get perform this upgrade. I already installed the 1.5 ReadyLift spacers and was able to install the dual steering stabilizer as well. I haven't been off road yet but haven't had any clearance issues in two weeks of daily driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hate to break it to many of you...but a steering stablizer / shocks are NOT what is needed to actually fix wobble. A new steering stabilizer is a mere bandaid that will mask it for a little while, but you will just end up with wobble again one the steering stabilizer wear itself out (prematurely do to the wobble) again.

Properly fixed, you wouldn't need a steering stabilizer at all. All a steering stabilizer is truly meant for is to provide resistance in turning, and to essentially help keep the wheel "centered." I could go more into much of this but then your getting into steering geometry, suspension, etc from engineering standpoints (something i'm rather involved in).

What you need to do is look over your front end and all its wearable parts, i.e. ball joints, Tie Rod Ends, Panhard ends if your coil sprung (including making sure the frame is not bent/cracking near or underneath the bracket), ALL bushing, etc.

Something in there is what is truly causing the wobble. The steering stabilizer may "fix" it for now, but it will prematurely wear out as well since it is having to mask the true problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts