Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new hear so please take it easy on me if this is a DUH situation.
I did some looking around and saw some steering issues but none of them sounded quite like my symptoms.
The symptoms my F350 with oversized tires, a 5 inch lift and dual Rancho stabilizers and a fresh alignment, suffers from is a serious amount of play in the steering. However it doesn't feel like it is anything under the truck but in the wheel itself. I was wondering what kind of damage or problems could be caused by the wheel being pulled excessively without the tires moving due to their size.
To give everyone a better picture...
If I'm driving down the highway at average speeds with hands at 10 and 2, the steering and truck respond IMMEDIATELY to adjustments made to the wheel to move the truck left. If I wnat to make an adjustment and turn the wheel right there is approx. 4-5 inches of movement turning the wheel before any response from the steering. Essentially the steering wheel has tons of "play" in it when steering to the right.
ANY IDEAS on what I'm dealing with or should be looking for? I'm not Shade Tree Mechanics or anything but I think with some additional explanation and knowledge I might be able to further investigate.
I'll be waiting to hear from you all.
Thanks!!!
HP

·
Registered
295 Posts
As far as diagnosing the problem, have someone in your truck turn the wheel back and forth and view the moving or non moving parts. This will obviously not fix the problem but can at a minimum diagnose which part of your steering is causing the problem. Chack shafts, steering box, drop pitman arm, anything and everything related to steering. Use a flashlight and a mirror to look in the hard to see places. I would start with your shafts and work your way foward. It would also help to know what year and motor you have.

good luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions.
My truck is an 01 F350 7.3 CC LB 4x4.
I'm not sure what kind of lift the truck has because I purchased it with the lift.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
i think the bolt on the drop pitman arm is lose. same thing that happend to me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks cchase.
i'll look into that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the drop pitman arm and it seems to be tight.
Does anyone know of a good resource for seeing a diagram of the steering assembly?
I want to try and look there for any issues.
I also had been told that running oversized tires creates the issue I am having.
But then I read how many of you guys run the same size and aren't having an steering issues.
While I'm on a roll here...
Anyone from the North Baltimore area? I'm looking for a diesel tech. I'm really interested in trying to learn how to really take care of my diesel and would like to find someone who doesn't mind going over things face to face when working on my truck. I feel like the tech I have now doesn't really have the time to be more face to face.
Let me know...and if anyone else has any ideas about my steering issues I'm looking for suggestions!

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
:bump::bump: Hope you get the answers you need!

·
Registered
146 Posts
steering

a friend of mine has ther same problem, we looked at and seen that there is play is the joints of the steering knuckle. particularly at the joint at the pitman arm, it seemed to twist instead of push/pull. never did fix it, it was a fairly new joint so we figured its from having big tires.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this a problem anyone else is having with oversized tires.
That is what my tech originally said was the cause but if that was the case wouldn't everyone in this forum with big tires be responding that this is the case?
I'm going to see if I am having this same "twist" issue you are describing.
Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
It may be that it is slop in the steering gearbox and can be adjusted out. You really need to have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch under the truck. It will become obvious where the problem is with that much play.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem with having someone turn the wheel is that it won't turn with out actually moving forward because my power steering won't turn my oversized tires.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sorry for reviving an old thread. The truck I just purchased has the same symptoms. But to add one thing. While towing with tension on the suspension. The steering tightens up and you don't notice it.

So has any one come up with a sure fire way to fix the problem?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still haven't had any luck.
I checked my drop pitman arm and it seemed as tight as can be.
I haven't checked the tensioner bar yet though. I was told I might need to do an adjustment there. My truck just had an alignment and my "techie" says play is from having the truck lifted.
So I'm still searching because I can't believe every guy with a lift on his truck has this issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that's interesting.
i hadn't heard of anyone with stock suspension having this issue.
after thinking about it some more this morning i realized i forgot to mention i was thinking of looking into the steering linkage, box etc. to see if i have something loose or broken in that area.
i asked earlier on this thread about finding a good resource for diagrams of the steering assembly since the chilton book doesn't have anything.
i'll let you know if i have any luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
STANG302,
Ever figure out your problem?
I'm still having this issue.
Maybe this bump can help generate some more ideas!
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i have the exact same problem but mine is a 2006 its the steering shaft i have over 100k on the truck and the shaft is just worn out take a close look at your shaft

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had the exact issue, here is how I fixed it. Ontop of the steering box there is a nut with a shaft stickout out of it that will accept an allen wrench. You use a wrench on the big nut to loosen, then turn the allen. Clockwise tighens the steering up, while counter loosens it. After that the steering is more responive than on my ws6, but it took me a few times to get it juuuuuuuusst right.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steering Gearbox Salvation!!!

So after driving my rig for almost 2 years with this horrible steering I finally had the time and means to have the problem diagnosed. Well really my tranny died and while it was sitting at the shop FOREVER - thank you CARS warranty company - I had my tech check it out. Turned out the steering gearbox was toast. Upgraded to the AGR gearbox - WHICH IS FRICKIN AWESOME!!! Steering is almost like new. THANKS AGR and Thanks to everyone at BOB DAVIDSON FORD IN PARKVILLE MD for helping out. Big props to Dave! I'm still confused how the tech who originally inspected my truck missed this (not the dealership). He actually said the steering was a result of the truck's lift. I never did really believe him but I wasn't about to argue with him. Doesn't matter now because I'm not using him anymore. Happy Holidays guys and be safe out there.
:woot:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts