Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just looking for some info as to whether I would see any benefit removing the stock stabilizer bar and replacing with either a single or dual shock set-up. I don't have it lifted but I have 2 1/2" leveling spacers in the front with 35x12.50r20's. I am getting new shocks when I get out on my days off and would like to do this as well if it would benefit me at all. Thanks for anyones input :icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also another question, I just noticed there is already a shock up a little higher on a different component so does a dual setup just replace the solid bar on the bottom which I assume is a tie rod. If I go with a dual on the bottom bar does the upper one even do anything then? Sorry for all the questions but I have very little suspension and steering knowledge. :dunno:

·
Registered
751 Posts
im looking to do the same thing to mine. kinda wondering best place to buy and how hard is it to do

·
Registered
872 Posts
its a good upgrade.. I got the Rough Country one with dual Bilestiens.. easy to mount up and it replaces the stock one. it runs along the front of the tierod end.. it doesn't replace it.

The toughest part was getting the old OEM stabilizer out.

Here's my last 3 to compare too.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most people seem to be good with the Bilstein stock replacement, but the best option is the dual ICON setup. You will pay for it though, it is over $500, but makes a huge difference.
004.jpg

So you are just talking about replacing this shock with a bilstein or equivalent aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a good upgrade.. I got the Rough Country one with dual Bilestiens.. easy to mount up and it replaces the stock one. it runs along the front of the tierod end.. it doesn't replace it.

The toughest part was getting the old OEM stabilizer out.

Here's my last 3 to compare too.

003.jpg

So with your dual setup, does the solid bar separate from the tie rod ends and get replaced with the dual shocks? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but in your pick it looks like that.

·
Registered
872 Posts
View attachment 42342

So with your dual setup, does the solid bar separate from the tie rod ends and get replaced with the dual shocks? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but in your pick it looks like that.
no it does not.. it just looks like that because you cant see it behind the shocks. if you took that tie rod end out, your front left tire wouldn't be controlled.

does this help/?? you can see here that the end of the shock bolts onto the tierod end with 2 ubolts that are included in the kit.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah so it just has u bolts now I see :doh: like I said I have no idea about this stuff. So then what did you do about that upper shock that I posted right above to DSTRBD?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I bought a dual steering stabilizer from Top Gun Customz. I got the Bilstein dual steering stabilizer and it was about $300.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a dual steering stabilizer from Top Gun Customz. I got the Bilstein dual steering stabilizer and it was about $300.
Did you also replace the factory stabilizer shock?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Initially, I replaced the OEM unit with a Bilstein 5100. However, my trackbar and draglink needed to be replaced at a later date and the adjustable trackbar I bought didn't utilize the factory steering stabilizer so that's when I upgraded to the dual steering stabilizer. I actually have a brand new, warranty replacement, Bilstein 5100 high mount/OEM direct replacement sitting in the box in the back of my truck.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Initially, I replaced the OEM unit with a Bilstein 5100. However, my trackbar and draglink needed to be replaced at a later date and the adjustable trackbar I bought didn't utilize the factory steering stabilizer so that's when I upgraded to the dual steering stabilizer. I actually have a brand new, warranty replacement, Bilstein 5100 high mount/OEM direct replacement sitting in the box in the back of my truck.
What are you planning on doing with it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts